Daily 5 in 5th grade??? - ProTeacher Community

fifthforkids

Daily 5 in 5th grade???
Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any 5th grade teachers do Daily 5?
How do you structure it?
I bought the books but it seems to be all geared to primary, and I'm not sure my students would stay on task.

Thank you in advance

Nyanza

I have
Old 01-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

purchased the books, but have yet to implement within my room.
If you peruse the boards in the Peony Room you'll find fellow fifth grade teachers who use the Daily 5 and Cafe.

cjn

At my school,
Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

the upper grades use the Daily 3: read to self, word work, and writing. I address the CAFE components at appropriate times, using a variety of picture books for the skills. This gives me a lot of time for individual conferences in reading and writing.

Rumagereader

pertty amazed...
Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too thought the books might be too primary, but I have been AMAZED at how well the Read to Self and Read to Someone (the only parts I have really used of Daily 5 yet) have changed my class. It seems so simple, but the routine and teaching the expectations so clearly and positively must be the difference. They are engaged, quiet during read to self, and actually reading together during read to someone, even when we have to use our basal. They love the "wrong" modeling, too. I find the CAFE is working well with our comprehension strategies, although I have not gotten as far as I would like yet.

shel312

Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I started using it in my 5th grade class this year and it has worked very well. The kids really seem to enjoy it as well. We only do 2 rounds with one mini-lesson 3 days a week. The other 2 days I do basal or novel work. I also incorporate the CAFE strategies, many of which are in our Reading basal workbook, so it works out nicely. The only problem I seem to be having is meeting with groups. I have meet with all students individually at least 3 times and have meet with everyone in a focus group at least once, several twice. Right now I am kinda taking a break from focus groups...I need to recharge from the break!

somacube

Daily Five in Fifth
Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also use Daily Five in fifth grade. Mainly read to self and read with a buddy. Both work great. I found a carpet store that gave me free carpet squares (the old samples) and kids can sit anywhere in the room. The training translates to other group activities such as workshop and science (6-inch library voices). In buddy read they can summarize each other's reading, or ask the reader a question about that page. I either work with small groups or sit next to buddies as they read and summarize. I agree with CJN that picture books work well to introduce concepts.

Lilrock

D5 and Cafe - off and running!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is the first year I have incorporated Daily 5 and CAFE into my fifth grade classroom. We have had bumps along the way, but all in all it is going well. Because our schedule is so crazy most of time time, I tried to streamline everything to one document for my kids. On one side they are tracking the activities that they must do during the week and on the other side they are setting reading and writing goals for themselves that we conference about.

I have a wide range of abilities in my classroom so I differentiate the menu and tracker to meet the needs of my kids. The tracker is done weekly and is color coordinated with weekly activities and my guided reading groups.

I am using Daily 5/CAFE in conjunction with Fountas and Pinnelle.

I am trying to figure out how to post an attachment of the Daily Five choice tracker and menu I use so that you have a better idea of what I am talking about. (Apparently, you must be a junior member to share good ideas for the "protection of the pt community" - so if you would like a copy of this file feel free to email me or respond to the post with your email address and I would be happy to send it your way)

I hope you find this helpful!

Last edited by Lilrock; 02-01-2011 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: document sharing

Proxi

Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did Daily Five for the first time with fifth grade last year. I only have 325 minutes per week of Language Arts/Reading time and I didn't work Friday. So basically I did 90 minutes per day Monday-Wednesday and a bit on Thursday (no Daily Five on Thursday though). Monday-Wednesday worked like this:

Mini-lesson (15 minutes)
Block One (30 minutes)
Switch (5 minutes.... my group was poor at transitions, so I always factored in extra time here. Plus some of the Listening to Reading books we used were pretty long and came with Comprehension Questions)
Block Two (30 minutes)
Sharing (10 minutes)

This year I am stuck on what I should do... so I am going to leave that for another post!

grnbeana

Old 09-21-2011, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We are using it this year for the first time. We found a copy of Daily 5 for Dummies incorporating CAFE and we have mainly followed that. At times we speed it up but as far as a launch of the program we like it a lot We have not fully gotten into the swing of things yet but this is my vision.

Mini Lesson Reading (10 min)
Guided Group 1 (35-40 min)
Mini Lesson Writing/English (10 min)
Guided Group 2 (35-40 min)
Closure (10 min)

Jewels80

newbie at Cafe
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was interested in seeing what you have as far as files to get a better grip on CAFE. I was dabbling in workshop, now I want to try CAFE and see if I can blend the two. I am teaching a 4/5 combo this year, so that is a lot of new learning and management already. Thanks in advance!