How do you keep students "actively engaged" - ProTeacher Community

YankeeDoodle7

How do you keep students "actively engaged"
Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm finally finished with all my evaluations for this year! Now I'm trying to fill out what my district calls a "Future Growth Plan". My principal wants me to continue to work on keeping my students actively engaged in class. So I'm wondering how you do it?

TIA

Last edited by YankeeDoodle7; 01-10-2010 at 02:15 PM..
YankeeDoodle7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Google
Old 01-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whole Brain Teaching

It's amazing! I haven't been able to incorporate it full time but what I've done had made a huge difference!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

babyruth

Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I once took a class on the brain and learned a ton!
I try and do activities that get my kids moving.
- think/pair/share
- pass out a word card or a definition card (1 per student) and find your partner
- play music
- copy things on colored paper

google - brain based learning
babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Knitter

Old 01-10-2010, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kagan!! Kagan has totally changed my teaching. Before, I was basically engaging one student at a time. Now I know how to have them ALL engaged. There are some free resources on the website to get you started. Whole Brain teaching is also wonderful. The two are totally compatible, and the WBT stuff is all free.
Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
marrbarr

marrbarr

think of yourself
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When you plan a lesson just keep in the back of your head..."Is this lesson something that would keep me interested?" If not you need to think of new way of presenting the info. Of course, you can't have a 3 ring circus going all day/every day. So pick your big battles and work on them first.

kimsseven

Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I graduated 3 years ago so I did this as part of my original lesson planning but each lesson had a kinesthetic,auditory and visual component. I also so almost all group work, centers, partners, etc. It keeps them engaged but it is certainly more hectic for me.
kimsseven is offline   Reply With Quote

ibkajun

Student engagement
Old 01-30-2010, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here are a few activities I use. I switch them up.

1. I hand out A, B, C, D cards to each student. (Can use index cards and have students write the letters one on each card.) Ask multiple choice questions and they have to hold up which card is the correct answer. This engages everyone and you can see at a glance who needs extra help. You can do this with any subject.

2. A "game" called Numbered Heads Together. Group students in groups of 4. Each student gets a number 1-4. Pose a question to the class. The 4 students in each group discuss the answer to the question. Every person in the group must know the answer because they do not know if their number will be called.. Then pull a number 1-4 and the person with that number from each group must stand and give the answer to the question. (I have 20 students so 5 students stand to give me the answer.) They basically give the same answer, so the answer is reinforced at least 5 times. You will be surprised how each group will try to say the same thing, but use different words. This is great lowering the affective filter for those students who are your English learners. They are not threatened by giving the answer because everyone in the groups' job is to make sure everyone in their group knows the answer. They can even write down the answer and read it when they are called on.

3. Already mentioned--Think-Pair-Share

4. Small white boards for each student is also a great way to get all students involved. They have to write their answer to a question on their white boards and show you their answer. This is also good for a quick check to see who needs extra work. You can go to a home improvement store and have them cut shower board into how ever big pieces you want. It is cheaper than buying from a teacher supply store. I use felt as the erasers.
ibkajun is offline   Reply With Quote