Popcorn Reading? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

emg123

Popcorn Reading?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was reading a post and "popcorn reading" was mentioned. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks.

3rd Grade Rox

Popcorn Reading
Old 10-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The way I do popcorn reading is I first choose someone to read in front of the class. After they have read a paragraph, then the student says "popcorn to....." and they now pick someone in our class to continue reading where they left off. You could change the length of the reading to one sentence, or even let the kids decide where to popcorn at. It's just a cute way for students to choose who gets to read. I hope this helps!

Illinois Packer Fan

popcorn
Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When we do popcorn read, boys call on girls, girls call on boys and they cannot call on someone who has already read.
newtothird

newtothird

I do this too
Old 10-08-2006, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I combine what both of these teachers do for popcorn reading. I use it when I think the students aren't paying attention. However, I may use it in guided reading groups more than read alouds for social studies, etc. Many of my low readers can't follow the social studies or other difficult text. I don't want them to be embarrassed if they're called upon by another student. When I taught social studies last year with the inclusion kids, I'd ask questions and whoever could answer would get a piece of candy, etc. With a reward the non-readers were at least listening. I like popcorn reading, and the kids seems to like it too.

beachmom

my twist on popcorn reading
Old 10-09-2006, 03:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I read their social studies book or science book and when I stop ,usually at a vocabulary word, they all read in harmony. If the class is loud then I know they are all following along. If I only hear a few then I stop and say something. They like this because they follow along and no one is called on or embarrassed. They like it when I don't read exciting words or words that end in an exlamation or sound. They are so dramatic.

Cristallynn

Here's how I've used it...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used it in middle school and would start reading text, and then randomly call out a student's name. That student would then read 1 sentence minimum and eventually call on another student. It kept the class on their toes and reading along because if they were caught NOT knowing where we were, they'd have to stand and read at least a whole paragraph before they could pass it along to someone else. It worked for my classes!

fun_friend

Old 10-14-2006, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is my understanding that popcorn reading is not "best practices" though, particularly if comprehension is the objective. It might be okay for fluency. Any thoughts?

km

popcorn reading
Old 10-14-2006, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Popcorn reading is essentially round robin reading which is not considered a "best practice". I like Beachmom's idea of the teacher reading and the kids chiming in when she stops - that models fluency and ensures active participation. I do that with my students as well. However, popcorn reading does not ensure active participation - some may argue differently because they do have to follow along a little to know where to start if they are called upon. It definitely does not help fluency because only one child is reading at a time. It also increases the anxiety of lower performing students. It would be better to have students choral read material or partner read the material. I often have students whisper read material for a few minutes as a way for them to preview it and then we choral read it together.