Looking for a Poetry Memorization/Recitation Rubric - ProTeacher Community

tchrrx

Looking for a Poetry Memorization/Recitation Rubric
Old 01-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like my kids to memorize poems as part of our English study on poetry. Do you have some favorite poems for kids to memorize? I also need a rubric to grade them. Thank you!

tchrrx is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

no rubric, sorry
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

However, I have had my students memorize poems before. I keep a copy of the poem in front of me when they recite the poem for the class. I think they need to say all the words, so I count off if they skip, omit or substitute a word.

I also want them to pause for periods and commas. If they do not I count off.

While they are reading I just make little tally marks for each mistake. I also want them to read with feeling. If they read in a monotone I count off.

I also want them to read loud enough to be heard. If they do not I stop them and give them a warning with no penalty. Then they start again.

They also need to speak slowly enough to be understood. Sometimes when they have something memorized they want to repeat it quickly. Then no one can understand them and enjoy the poem. Again, I give them a warning to slow down without penalty. Hopefull, when they start over they will speak more slowly.

After one warning if they read to softly or quickly I do count off.

I demonstrate with my own poem to show how I want it done. I also show common mistakes, like reading too quickly or not reading loudly enough. I think this demostration is helpful to the students.

I also encourage them to add a small prop, simple costume or a physical action to make the reading more dramatic. If they do this I add some points to their grade.

My favorite for children is Jack Prelutzky. I also love Shel Silverstein. Also try poems for two by Mary Ann Hoberman. Her series is titled: You Read To Me, I'll Read To You.

Hope this helps. If you make this into a rubric on Rubistar I would love to have a copy. Good luck and have fun with poetry.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote