Everyday Math Assessments - Scoring??? - ProTeacher Community

iCreate

Everyday Math Assessments - Scoring???
Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone!
In my district we use Everyday Math. My grade level (grade 2) is currently working on determining how to score each unit assessment. If you use Everyday Math, you know that some questions have more than 1 part. For example, when asked to complete a number sequence, although it is just one question, there may be 8 lines for the students to fill in with numbers. Are you counting each line as a point or counting the entire question as a point. This also goes for What's My Rule? questions and clocks, etc. So, my question is: Has anyone determined how to weigh each item on the unit assessments or know of any resources that would be helpful for doing so. I like the checklists provided with each unit because they target specific concepts and skills. However, our principal has asked that we provide a numerical value, such as Part A: 17/20 and Part B: 4/6. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks in advance!!

iCreate is offline   Reply With Quote

skitty515

Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there - I too teach 2nd and use EDM. Our district has since gotten very involved with how we score to make sure we are being consistent throughout our district.

We score based on the number of responses, not the number of questions. Like you said, if there are multiple parts to be completed then each counts as a point. If there are 6 parts of a number grid to be filled in then that question is worth 6 points.

We use Part A and the Open Response for compiling the grades for report cards. We use Part B (which we still grade the same way) for planning our instruction.

If you have more in-depth questions, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to help!
skitty515 is offline   Reply With Quote

iCreate

Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much! As detailed as EDM is, you think they would have offered some information on scoring! I appreciate your response- thanks again!!!
iCreate is offline   Reply With Quote

skitty515

Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You're Welcome!
skitty515 is offline   Reply With Quote

gradeteacher

Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In our district, we count each answer separately, just like skitty515 explained. We then count Part A as 70% of the grade, Part B as 10%, and the constructed response is the remaining 20%.

gradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
teach10928

teach10928

Edm
Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

we have the SAME problem. it's so subjective.
we are currently doing the same as the previous posters, to an extent.
if it's filling in a number sequence, e.g. 1,026, 1,027, _______, ________
we only count that as one. we have found that if we count every number, it inflates the scores. but for the what's my rule? problems, we count every response, because every response requires some kind of computation. sometimes we'll count tricky problems for more points (making change, etc).
basically, EMD is great for identifying which skills kids need help with, but such a headache when filling in grades!

just like the above said, we use part A and the open response as test grades and use part B as an assignment grade.

wondering

call your rep
Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have you call the EDM consultant? They generally can find this info for you and give you guide lines used by other districts in your area.
wondering is offline   Reply With Quote

breezey

we...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

matched the EDM "skills" to our state standards, then we "created" an assessment based on this- since we need to be accountable to our state standards- hope this makes sense.
breezey is offline   Reply With Quote

crazyeights

Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I guess we are lucky because we have discussed this very same thing at grade level, but admin. has not mandated any specific guidelines. We usually grade part 80% and part B 20%. The open response is graded separately because we have a grade on our report card for math writing. Each response is usually worth about 4.4 points in part A. We also are using the RSA's as a way to assess how each student is progressing towards the standards.
crazyeights is offline   Reply With Quote

Barb/Ohio

EDM ~ Constructed response
Old 01-16-2010, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is my first year using EDM. Our second grade teachers have not been using the constructed response but maybe we should add it. How does everyone grade the constructed response?

Barb/Ohio
Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

crazyeights

For the constructed response
Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

don't you use the rubric that is included in the assessment book? One thing I did this year was to go through the teachers edition. Every lesson or so, there is a little file folder icon with a suggestion for a quick writing assessment. I typed this up on and copied the math box that goes with each one and I give them periodically to the students. Because we have a "writing in math" grade, I needed something to assess. I find the open response questions at the end of each unit to be somewhat difficult for many of my students.
crazyeights is offline   Reply With Quote