rhyming activity - ProTeacher Community

Kaylen

rhyming activity
Old 10-08-2006, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there! I am getting observed this Wed. during my Rhyme Time magnet class. I was hoping I could get some ideas about a fun activity I could do with the kids. It's a small class of about 15, but they need to be entertained the entire 45 minutes because they are very active! We have already worked on making lists of rhyming words, sang some songs with rhymes, filled in the blanks to complete a rhyme, made up our own rhymes--I'm running out of fun ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Kaylen is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

Old 10-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try an erase-a-rhyme. You can make your own and use the white board. I think this website has some examples on it http://www.sewwhat4ucorp.com/teacherresources.htm
Or google erase a rhyme activities for more ideas. The kids love it!
QW is offline   Reply With Quote

Miquell

Qw
Old 10-09-2006, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really enjoyed the website you suggested. It really has a lot of great ideas and they are easily adjustable. I hope everyone will take a peek. I have been on the site for the past hour and 1/2!! Thanks for the great share. Elsa Miquell
Miquell is offline   Reply With Quote

Kaylen

thanks
Old 10-09-2006, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the great site! I love the color/erase a rhyme!

QW

your welcome!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm glad it helped. We did the scarecrow one with parents at family fun night. I also made up one with Sheep on a Ship and drew a huge pirate ship on the board with all kinds of things around it, then made up a story about the pirates, such as:
It began to hail and ripped the (sail)
They met an old hag and she took their (flag)
They looked over the rail and saw a (whale)
As it got dark, they saw a (shark)
etc, etc...

Glad you liked the site. I've used it a lot. Kids really love it and the color a rhymes are great, too.

QW is offline   Reply With Quote

pamnpr

QW - Website
Old 10-10-2006, 01:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just love the website you shared. I just started math journals last week and this site gave me some more ideas. Thanks, "SMILE"
pamnpr is offline   Reply With Quote

lwshk

color erase a rhyme
Old 10-10-2006, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know I am overlooking this but where is the color erase a rhyme?
lwshk is offline   Reply With Quote

Kaylen

observation status
Old 10-12-2006, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just wanted to say thanks again! I didn't use erase a rhyme for my observation but I will use it in my class. I ended up reading Silly Sally and covering up the predictable rhyming word and having the students guess it. Then I made up a sheet to go along with it that said Silly _________ went to town, ___________________backwards, upside down. They filled in the blank and drew a picture. I also put another sentence on the back that said On the way ____met a snake, a silly snake, they _________________________. On each students paper I had a different animal. We didn't finish, but they are turning out cute. Just wanted to share.

gigglyoh

Silly Sally rhyming activity
Old 10-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was just reading about your activity idea for Silly Sally. I'm doing a lesson with the book, too, and was curious how you created a different worksheet with a different animal for each student. I have 15 students, so how would each of theirs be different if there are only 6 different animals mentioned? And at what point do they fill in the blanks? I would think it'd be hard for them to remember what the story said - did you have the phrases posted on the board, and then they can choose from them? And as you were reading, how did they know how to fill in the blanks - it must've been the second read that they could. What did you do for the first read - maybe they put their thumbs up everytime they hear a rhyme? I would really appreciate your help! Thank you!!!
gigglyoh is offline   Reply With Quote