auto acceptance programs for Aesop: DO NOT PURCHASE! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

auto acceptance programs for Aesop: DO NOT PURCHASE!

>

inmichigan

auto acceptance programs for Aesop: DO NOT PURCHASE!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

All school districts in my county switched sub management over to PESG, which uses Aesop. While I enjoy the online presence(as opposed to those awful phone calls!) lately I have been increasingly frustrated by the fact that as soon as a job is posted, it is "accepted by another substitute" (even when I have rec'd the "preferred sub" e-mail alert). Always faster than Jobulator use, as well. It seemed to me that some people out there must have written, or found, a program that automatically accepts a posted job for them as soon as it appears. While searching for such a program, I stumbled on this site, and am glad of it.

Apparently at least one such program, SubJobSearch, does exist, their website offers it for $90 annually, and others have existed in the past, and will certainly pop up in the future! I was so upset at this I wrote a long, complaining e-mail to PESG, also venting about other Aesop-related issues while I was at it. This led to a phone call from a PESG representative, giving me a ton of information that was new even after my many years of subbing. The one relevant bit I want to give everyone now is that the Aesop folks watch out for such programs and shut them down as soon they can. The money you pay for them is usually not refunded.

The rest of the info I got is about the customizabilty of Aesop, what teachers can do that they might not know about. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post it.

inmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

uhhhh, yes, that goes without saying...you're basically buying the product....

you're out the $90.. or whatever money you pay for the program. There is another program that charges $10.00 a month (they say that it pays for itself in one assignment) and it does...these are just ways to get jobs faster and you don't have to sit in front of the computer (it's all automated)

did you get bit for the money?

I, personally, just use the Refresher---my attitude is ---if I get the job then great! if not, oh well, there will be others.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

to yoohoo
Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

However, the problem is that the last couple of school years it has been very difficult to get jobs on AESOP. Before that, no problem, I would find a list of 5 or more at times. More subs have been hired and subs are taking more jobs than they used to because of the economic situation. I asked a fellow sub how she was doing getting jobs on AESOP and she said, "It's like death," which I thought was appropriate. I am barely getting the 2 to 3 days per week that I need. So, it's not so easy to say that if I miss a job, another one will come along, because it's just not happening.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

to inmichigan
Old 01-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Does AESOP have the authority to shut down those search companies? And why would they have that authority?
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

just remember----did you sign up or the school sign up....otherwise, it's basically if you WANT to then...otherwise, it's just an option that some subs are using to get that extra inch to get a job

to sublime---the poster did not state as to whether they're forced to or not to use the system...if they were forced to (as in no other choice then yes, that would be a problem)

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Kayla

Kayla

scam ?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't think you should have to pay for assignments to be a substitute teacher,
since I have been doing it for 9 years with Aesop without having to pay one red cent.
kayla

kayla

zero
Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am not getting phone calls at all, and when the phone rings and I pick it up no
one is there.
Mrs. sublady

Mrs. sublady

Stop complaining!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you are on the "preferred sub list" and not getting your rightful amount of jobs, (if you truly believe that) than that may tell you something. Maybe, you should go clean houses! It's just like any other job, you have to keep up with your competition! Others go back to school to compete. With the additional people going out for Sub jobs, and many more people getting on those "hot preferred lists" a smart CEO may just need some more assistance. And if they prefer to get the additional help, who are you to complain?
Tommie

Tommie

Haven't you heard about the economy?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Today the economy & job market are alot different than 9 years ago! We also had a different president. More people are out in your schools looking for work. The subbing jobs are hot now. When the economy changes, all those jobs that are now given to neighbors, friends etc. will be back on AESOP. So stop thinking it's AESOP's fault! Or any assistance program. When people want to further their career's they go back for more degree's. Most pay for them!
HappyUser

HappyUser

Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow! It sounds like “inmichigan” wants to do us all a favor and save us from the evil software companies. It couldn’t be that “inmichigan” is just too cheap to buy an auto accept program and doesn’t want anyone else to have one. This same person probably doesn’t think twice about having a $100 a month cable TV bill or a $75 a month cell phone bill. Well I paid the $90 and am very satisfied with my decision because I made that back the first time I used the program. I don’t have to click by brains out on Aesop day and night anymore like “inmichigan”. You know it’s all about free enterprise. These software companies that make those kinds of programs recognize a need and they fill it. If this were not the case, there would be no personal computers, no Microsoft, no Internet and no Aesop. As a final note, I think that it is a bunch of B.S. that Frontline is going to shut anyone down because to do so would make there Aesop so hard to use that the school districts would stop using them and they would be out of business.
Susanna Jean

Susanna Jean

The product pays for itself.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

uhhh, I live in NY, & purchased a couple of programs which I prefer the $90 one, (Sub Job Search) I have gone out and returned home to find an assignment for the following day. Hey, I got my monies worth out of it for sure. I also get my jobs from references. Oh, I have done my share of the refresh button...my attitude is....you do what you have to do. Hey, I also have a degree and I intend to go back to school. But, the school wants me to pay for my classes/degree, imagine that! Nice chatting with you.

Mrs. Poppins

Expressing your opinion
Old 01-30-2010, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

While everyone has an opinion, and that is certainly why we're all here, I'll never understand why some want to express it in such a rude, condescending way.
Mrs. Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Auto Acceptance programs...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When I first saw an advertisement for "Jobulator" on the front page of my AESOP account a few months ago, I was upset because I knew it meant fewer jobs for me Jobs were already hard to come by but this made the jobs fly off of the screen!!! I also get frustrated when I click on a job and the dreaded message comes up informing me that basically my fingers were too slow I have a Firefox add-on that I use to refresh the page for me. It's my own little "Jobulator" It works ok Not as good as last year, but I think more people know about it now

I know that even without the auto acceptance programs, AESOP (at least in my district) isn't exactly "fair".There have been many jobs that have never been "advertised" on AESOP because they are simply assigned to a substitute by a teacher or administrator. I am sure many other districts do this too... I have been asked by teachers to come in for them (while I am at their school) and then "magically" the job appears on my list. I am sure that other subs have had this experience too It's great when it happens I have played the "refresh" games with teachers too...The teacher calls me, we log on to AESOP at the same time, he/she puts the job in while I keep hitting the "search for jobs" button, then as quickly as the job appears, I grab it and accept it...

When I am home for the day because I couldn't find a job, I try not to let it get to me because I know that I have had many jobs that others never had a chance to see... If I was supporting myself solely through subbing, I would buy the program just so that I would have a job...Luckily, I am married and my husband has a good job. I am using subbing as a way to get a permanent job in a school district.

Sorry for the lost post...
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Judy Malone

Judy Malone

Sub job search
Old 02-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hello,
I also have a husband who still has his job, a good one too. But, I like subbing and have been at it for some time now. I do get many jobs from the teachers & administrators, I guess seniority counts for something, after-all no other benefits apply. However, I did invest in Sub Job Search for the days that I am not handed one. This investment has paid off for me. If a person wants to work, like I do, than click all night long, or get "sub job search" program, it does it for you. (Hopefully, you do not live in the same district as I do). Even for someone like myself, who gets jobs, this Sub Job Search program was well worth it. I never sit & click! I love it when I need it. Keep Smiling.
Britt1209

Britt1209

Sub Job Search
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

When I went to the sub job search it said the download is not available until late 2010. For those who have it, how did you get it?
gina23

gina23

Sub Sidekick
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I tried a few programs and ended up using Sub Sidekick. I was a new sub this year and it wasn't easy to get jobs at first. Once I started getting jobs and I think landing on preferred lists, it was a lot easier to get jobs. Despite that fact, I still see jobs come and go in a matter of seconds. With the program, I have it setup to grab my favorite jobs and it usually works out and my schedule is full. Good luck everyone!

subteach1

Using blackberry to accept jobs
Old 09-12-2010, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I also have been frustrated with disappearing jobs on aesop and decided to become more proactive. I have a separate email for aesop that comes through on my phone so I can check during prep or lunch and I had business cards made up to give to teachers. When I sub for someone new I attach the card to my notes from the day. Many teachers are texting me to check a date and then when they post it. I am not sure about the automated programs, for our aesop we have to enter a verification code that appears in box prior to hitting accept. Does the automated system do this? I am frustrated with watching the computer when I should be playing with my kids!!!! Using a phone tends to help. My Blackberry is too slow and I am thinking of switching to a DROID because the Blackberry "times out" on me and I loose the job I am trying to get. Any ideas on this?

Last edited by subteach1; 09-12-2010 at 04:06 PM..
subteach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
gina23

gina23

verification code
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My school district has the verification code too and SubSidekick works with it. Not sure about others.
Aardhare

Aardhare

The big change came!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Last weekend Aesop changed to a two box "captcha" or "ecaptca" and now my automatic acceptance program is not working. Here in Michigan, many teachers were took the retire early option, producing a great many more subs.

I haven't gotten one job from my favorite auto acceptance program and have had to go back to the Jobulator. First it was as a backup, and now as my main job producer. It's a hard life for a Michigan sub as the kids move out of state with their parents.

Anyone having similar problems?
love my kids

love my kids

substitute teacher
Old 10-13-2010, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have a blackberry and haven't been able to figure out how to set up an Aesop email on my phone. The only reason I got this phone was because I heard that was how all the other subs get the jobs so quickly but it's not working for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
gina23

gina23

Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

@Aardhare - I had the same issues, but Sub Sidekick recently updated to support the two word captcha.

@lovemykids - Aesop doesn't provides any Blackberry tools. If you have a data plan, you can always browse the Aesop website with your Blackberry. Otherwise, if you want to receive text message or email alerts, you will have to use a service like Sub Sidekick.
davidetru

davidetru

sub
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

yes i am interested i just cant seem to type my pin in before the job is gone.i have 2 young children and i need to work more. i work nights and i just don't have enough to get by any help would be greatly appreciated. email me if you wish at dtraxinger@gmail.com
Heff56

Heff56

Business Cards
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

How did you make them look, like what kind of information is on them? I sub in three districts could I make a card with the three districts listed?

How did the business cards affect you being assigned or requested for jobs?

grav_def

Business Cards
Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I made mine at Vista Print, and they have my ID/request numbers for four different districts/sub systems. (I no longer sub in 2 of them, for what it's worth.) I have my name, my contact info (email and cell #), a bit of personal info (early childhood specialty, and "Yo hablo espanol," which has probably gotten me more jobs than anything else on there), and a space that says,

Request Numbers:
WSD: #####
XSD: #####
YSD: #####
ZSD: #####

I usually highlight the appropriate one before giving the card to a teacher, but if I forget they can generally manage to figure out on their own which district they work in.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

bmn

AesopOnline & Substitute Business Cards
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Vista Print is great. It is really cheap too! Make sure you Google "business cards" and click their link. You will get a better discount if you do this rather than visiting their site directly!

Business cards help me get on preferred lists and get long term substitute teaching positions. I am on a long term position right now and love it!
bmn is offline   Reply With Quote
YESHUA77

YESHUA77

The customizabilty of Aesop
Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

The rest of the info I got is about the customizabilty of Aesop, what teachers can do that they might not know about. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll POST.

I am interested. Please post the info on the customizabilty of Aesop, and what teachers can do that they might not know about. Thanks.
carclare

carclare

Aesop charges
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I am a substitute teacher in Texas. The first year Aesop was free. The second year it cost us $29.99. This year it is up to $39.99. Is it possible that your district is bigger than Texas and they feel the need to reward you? I am also having lots of problems between Aesop and McAfee. It is a nightmare and all I get from Aesop are more suggestions that don't work. Thank your lucky stars that you are getting free Aesop as we are not so lucky. It will probably cost Texas subs $49.99 this year. I can't wait!!

inmichigan

Wow! Stereotyping, anyone?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I haven't been on this site for some time, so did not see the venomous responses to my complaints about 'auto-accept" programs. As it happens, I think it's absurd to pay high amounts for either TV or cellphone service, so I simply don't.
Go clean houses? As it happens, I have the highest possible degree in a subject that very few people are qualified to teach.
Teachers of my acquaintance are unhappy that the substitutes they get do not have the knowledge to actually teach the subject, and that they must leave time fillers for their students. I am frustrated by not being to teach my subject because of this...
Yes, I am aware of the economic situation; very much so. In an ideal world, no substitute teacher would accept a job for a subject they are not qualified to teach... To do so wastes everyone's time, but...
It so happens that I believe it to be unethical to sell such programs; employment should not be contingent on extra expenditure.
Which is why I do not purchase them. Do I disapprove of those who do? No, but I definitely disapprove of the ridiculous assumptions that some of them have made about me. With those attitudes, should they be teaching at all?
inmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
SallyNot

SallyNot

Frustrated in Manitoba
Old 11-28-2013, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I agree with you inmichigan,

I have worked on various term contracts and have been subbing in between for years. Before AESOP I worked almost every day between teachers who regularly requested me and being a preferred sub.

I currently have 3 degrees and am reluctant to invest more money into another without some form of job security.

I find it disturbing that the younger people so willingly accept a user fee system in order to find a casual day job placement. In Canada subs are classes as employees of any division that they work for and as such they must pay all union dues. We however do not receive benefits or sick days. Yet... Because we are employees we cannot write off transportation or any other expenses incurred ( auto alert services) as a contractor or self employed person could.

As well I find it interesting that Aesop now offers a sub alert service ( read user fee) that they waited till they had sold most of the divisions in our city.

You have no need to explain or apologize for any other technology that you an adult choose to have in your home ( Internet, cable) as they are a personal choice.

Make no mistake young people this is like a tax on your ability to work. Technology in this case is approaching big brother characteristics. It's impersonal, all seeing, and hurting many people who are least able to afford it.

Please remember that to blindly state that all technology is good exhibits all of the blindness that cautionary tales warn us about.

Ps.
Since Aesop came to our city no one is happy!