Help! They won't stop talking! - ProTeacher Community

Rockin1stgrad

Help! They won't stop talking!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching first grade for a few years now. I have learned a few tricks to use to help with excessive talking etc. However THIS class is EXTREMELY talkative! I have about 5 "leaders" that talk non stop off task and then they "rope" in the others.

Do you have any suggestions?

This is what I currently do use:
I use Whole Brain teaching: review rules daily, students remind others (sometimes) of the rules when they are breaking them, I used the score board technique and tried it for about 2 months but after week 3 it started to lose it's effectiveness on the students. (It has worked the past 2 years with my other classes)

I do have a reward and consequence system in place. Behavior color wheel(It starts on green- can move up 1 level and move down 3) and they are paid according to their color at the end of the day. End of the month they use their money to buy from the class store.

I have tried having long discussions with these students. I made them write long narratives about how they are effecting other students learning time and their own.

I have separated them from the table groups and then made them earn their way back. (Which they would and then about 2 weeks later it would get WAY out of hand again.)

It goes on. I just need some help now!

I think that I will try mystery sticks again. I have used them with other classes and they worked well. (I do believe that I will have 1 student who depending on her mood will ruin it for other students.)

What behavior systems or tricks have you used with a class like mine? They are good kids, they just LOVE to talk! The kindergarten teachers warned us about how talkative this class was coming up.

Last edited by Rockin1stgrad; 01-13-2010 at 07:48 PM..
Rockin1stgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug03

Rockin1stgrad...
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I think that I will try mystery sticks again. I have used them with other classes and they worked well.
What are mystery sticks?
Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockin1stgrad

mystery sticks
Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Write each of your students' names on popsicle sticks. Keep them in a cup with a label on the outside "Mystery Cup." I usually only use this during high noise times of the day. (This year it is ALL day!)

I tell the students, "I am pulling out three sticks with names on it. I'm not going to tell you who it is! It could be you! I will be watching to see if they are working the entire time." I usually look around and over emphasize staring at some of the kids to make them laugh, then they get to work and so do I.

I keep the sticks out on the desk as a reminder for the students. I might remind, "Sally, I hope that one of these sticks doesn't say your name on it!"

If I observe a student not following the rules, I put their stick back into the cup without saying a word.

During the end of the time period, I will reveal the remaining names and they receive some sort of small prize. If I had to put any sticks back, I do not say the name of the student but might say something like, "Unfortunately I had to put back one stick today. I saw this person getting up and walking over to their book bag during read to self. Hopefully they won't waste some of their learning time tomorrow."

I haven't tried it this year with my class. However, in the past I would only pull it out during rough weeks like holiday weeks or just rough times of the day so that I didn't over use it.

It is easy to use and has been extremely effective. I think the idea was in a Teacher's Helper magazine and a colleague told me about it.

rhubarb

Mystery sticks? Hhahaha
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

sorry but I am envisioning kid whackers! J/K... I could have used a stick 2 years ago when I had the class no one wants.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockin1stgrad

rhubarb
Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

lol....

Ladybug03

:)
Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like the idea of the mystery sticks. It's a cute idea. I think I'm going to try it with my class. Thanks for sharing!

Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-16-2010, 03:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Love the mystery sticks.

I've just started using "smellies" and they are like magic. They are just scented lip balms. I chose target times of cleaning up from centers and transitioning to the rug. Those were very talkative times in my room. I observe who is meeting expectations and I walk over and rub some of the lip balm on the back of their hand. They LOVE it. Seriously, just one day of it and our transitions were amazing.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockin1stgrad

sevenplus
Old 01-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh my goodness! The things that thrill kids! I will have to try that!!!! Mine seem to all be getting into bringing lipstick to school, so I bet that will make them happy!

I bet if I buy a pack of smuckers they will last the entire year too!

I'm off to Meijer right now!

Thanks for the tip!!!!

jmac56

Talking corner
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I had a first grade classroom with several constant talkers and felt like
I had tried everything, I developed a talking corner. When students were talking at inappropriate times I told them they needed to go to the talking corner. They could come back whenever they were done talking. The class did not stop what we were doing - so many times they were missing out on fun discussions or activities. They were never in "trouble", they just had to do the talking in the talking corner. It was unbelievable how well it worked.
jmac56 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoGoMonkey

If My Kids went to
Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

the talking corner, there would be no one left. This is my chattiest class ever! I watch my mystery student and give a starburst if they were a star and doing their job.
GoGoMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
jmh012

jmh012

Need help too!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I want to try the mystery stick idea only thing is I am at a private school and no stickers,no candy, no stamps are allowed so how else can I reward my students. I have a major talking problem, I teach kindergarten. It's hard to be happy and cheery if they never close their mouths!!!! I thought my child talked a lot but these guys don't stop!