Report Card Comments - ProTeacher Community

Jen86

Report Card Comments
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am writing as a new kindergarten teacher to see what you typically include in your report card comments. For the first quarter all I had to put was "parent teacher conference." So this time I actually need to write a full comment. Any help or general outlines would be greatly appreciated!

Jen86 is offline   Reply With Quote

kteacher/md

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We usually write about 5 or 6 sentences. I start with a general statement and then add a comment about reading, writing, math, and one social/learning skill type sentence. Try to phrase everything in the positive. For example write: Joey is learning to attend at large group time (instead of :"Joey never sits still and listens.") When I first started teaching, someone advised me to go look at the report cards in the cum files to see some examples. Here is something I may write:

Joey has had a great quarter in Kindergarten. He is now able to recognize all the upper and lowercase letters and a few sight words. He is reading short books and is able to answer simple questions after reading. In his daily journal, he is writing interesting sentences about his picture. In math, Joey has learned to make many different patterns and is learning about number sentences. He loves to play in blocks and gets along well with his classmates.

You can also google report card comments but be sure to only use those that are positively phrased. I have seen some terrible ones! If it is something you want them to know that the kid needs more work on, put that in the middle so you can end with a positive.
kteacher/md is offline   Reply With Quote
atschool

atschool

brief and to the point
Old 01-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think about what exactly I want the parent to know about the child and write one or two sentences stating such. Anything more than that needs to be said face to face in a p/t conference (in my opinion). I try to avoid stating a positive comment followed by "but..." and a negative comment. I've always thought the "but" negates the positive comment.

Examples:

"So and so is working on level. Keep working on sight words and math facts."

"So and so is very intelligent. Behavior needs improvement."

"So and so is working below grade level. Please schedule a conference with me as soon as possible."