Everyday Math Pros and Cons Survey - ProTeacher Community

bonnybelle

Everyday Math Pros and Cons Survey
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If your district has adopted EDM care to respond to a few ?????s

How long have you been using the EDM adoption?

Do you supplement your lessons with other standards based instruction?

Would you like to share your reservations about this curriculum?

Can you mention any positives about this curriculum? Please list.

Does EDM meet the needs of your struggling students?

Does EDM challenge your high students?

It's new for us and I can't really come to terms with the willy nilly pacing and new concepts. Haven't seen an equation to date.

bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

hollyhocks

Everyday Math
Old 01-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school district adopted Everyday Math several years ago. I teach fifth grade. This was the first time that all elementary schools in the district (7) had to use the same program. Students need to cycle through in order to get the spiraling that EM professes. I tried it for 2 1/2 years and went back to former text Addison Wesley-Scott Foresman primarily. I also love material that Sue O'Connell has developed. (http://www.qualityteacherdevelopment..._resources.php) I go to any workshops she presents when she is in our area. I still use some of EM because I feel obliged to and school continues to purchase the math journals.
I went back to my former program because students were not achieving as my fifth graders used to. They came to me not understanding ANY algorithm well. Many couldn't even multiply correctly...this was unheard of previously.
Problem solving is very weak.
There is not adequate practice to master skills.
EM professes that students 'get' it after spiraling...just didn't see much secure learnings at all.
The only way I could use EM with struggling youngsters was to use material from grade 3 or 4 and heavily supplement with basic skill information/practice.
When I mentioned that I didn't do EM as base math curriculum at parent information night...every parent thanked me!
It does not challenge high students...but with any program, I always pull in enrichment, particularily with problem solving.
My students this year have had EM probably since 1st grade now and it is distressing that I don't have the usual stellar math students I used to see.
To do this program properly, you need to spend almost 90 minutes daily.

I used to believe that any program could work..it was the method of delivery that mattered. I really tried to like EM and use it, but the continual poorer results with my students was too hard to take.

Sorry this is long. I have never seen a program that I have disliked as much as Everyday Math...I love to try new things and have been in education many years.
hollyhocks is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmarie

I second that
Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach upper elementary. We've used EM for 5 years now. I don't think it makes kids good problem-solvers as they claim. I have problems with the lack of "story problems" and then asking kids to perform on tests with story problems. We supplement that. There are only a couple of pages in each journal - not nearly enough!! Also, I have always pretested students and then let my high achievers work more independently. This is the worst series I have ever seen for explaining math simply enough for kids and their parents to understand and apply. We slow our poor-performing math students down and reteach more. Also, we're doing fractions now and 5th graders have 1 lesson on equivalent fractions (not using LCD yet), a lesson on adding like fractions, one on subtracting like fractions, then mixd numbers and all of a sudden they have to regroup as well as rename. I've used other materials I have to break that down and practice it more. Unfortunately, even though I detest it more and more, our students continue to score highly on standardized tests and show a year or more's growth. Many of mine score way above grade level except in problem-solving. They do well in computation because I practice timed computation on a weekly basis. Another interesting thing that has come up is that our 8th grade math teacher is now looking for more difficult materials because the kids he's getting are doing so well and need more challenge! I give up - go figure!!
jeanmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Educamator

Thumbs Down for EDM in Urban Setting
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1) I've been using EDM for 5 years.
2) I do supplement my lessons with other instruction.
3) My reservations about the curriculum:
a) The spiral--that is, skipping around from one topic to the next without mastery, is
very challenging for our students with special needs and for students who already
experience chaos in their own lives
b) The method of teaching students multiple strategies for solving a problem is great for
advanced learners, but confuses the heck out of many of our students!
4) Love the math games!
5) EDM does not meet the needs of our struggling students. Many parents of students with
special needs have complained about the program. In my classroom of students with
special needs, I have to use other programs and remove the spiral from the EDM
curriculum. I also have to modify the pacing and language.
6) The one population EDM does seem to work quite well for is our highest achieving students.
Educamator is offline   Reply With Quote
EM in 4th

EM in 4th

Everyday Math
Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am not a fan of EM. Our district adopted it despite many concerns raised by teachers who had previously taught this program. The program is very time consuming and we simply don't have a full 90 minutes to devote to it each day. With all of the pull-outs and RTI requirements, I am lucky if I get an hour for math. The sequence seems illogical and the assessments don't seem to match the work that was done in the unit. The games are fun, but again, they can be rather time consuming both before you teach the class (to copy, cut out, or simply gather materials) and when you teach the class. With so much controversy and concerns and parent groups actually creating a Facebook page called "I Hate Everday Math", I can't understand any school district wanting this program. I think our district just wanted to prove to the teachers and parents that they could and would adopt this program. Parents don't like it because they don't understand some of the algorithms and methods in EM. I know that teachers say that it gets better each year that you teach it, but I am seriously considering trying to transfer to a district that doesn't use EM.