Attention Getting Device - ProTeacher Community

Trinia2

Attention Getting Device
Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm tired of using my voice and I don't want to use a bell. I'd like to get something with a pleasant sound (chimes), but something easy to use. Please... suggestions.

Trinia2 is offline   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

wind chimes from ceiling
Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hung up a set of wind chimes from the ceiling at the front of the classroom. They work great because I don't have to search for my tambourine or train whistle when I need to get everyone's attention. Yes, they're stationary so when I'm in a different part of the room, I use other attention getters such as clapping or saying, "1,2,3 Eyes on Me." The chimes work well for me during center time when everyone's doing their own thing and the noise level starts rising. I can ring the chimes and they all know to lower their voices so I usually don't even have to say something! I ring the chimes only once during center time; if I have to more than that, I start taking privileges away.
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

JME

Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use a few different things to change things up a bit so they don't start to tune out a signal. My favorite right now is a music box. I wind it up at the beginning of the week. When I want their attention, I will sometimes open up the music box and keep it open until everyone is silent and I have their attention. Then I close it. On Fridays before they get on the bus, we open the music box to see if there is any music left. If there is, they earn a longer recess on Monday.
JME is offline   Reply With Quote

cvolcteacher

Here's a bunch of ideas...
Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a blog about discipline and classroom management strategies that support a particular approach... Discipline without Stress, Punishments and Rewards by Marvin Marshall.

You might be interested in this particular posting that lists many types of attention management signals:

http://disciplineanswers.com/attenti...ement-signals/

You're so right about getting tired of one signal... the kids get tired too... which defeats the whole purpose. I teach 5 or 6 various signals and then each one works more effectively because of the novelty of having several.

Best wishes!
Kerry in BC
cvolcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms.SB

Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used a harmonica briefly before my toddler daughter discovered it in my bag. I need to get a new one. That was my best alternative so far to a countdown. It was a dollar store purchase.

However, I have my students participate in my countdown. It goes"

Five
Four
I'm on 3 you should be
I'm on 2 so are you
ANNNNNNNNd 1.

They all say the rhyming lines from 3, and on 1 they're silent with the 1 finger to their mouth.

Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Attention Getters
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I recently bought two of these - http://www.treeblocks.com/music_wands.htm

I keep one in the front of the room and one in the back of the room.

I've also been very interested in purchasing a Zenergy chime. They are recommended by the Responsive Classroom.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...+Chime&x=0&y=0

I would just get the one that only has one chime, but there are more options.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
I Teach IL

I Teach IL

love Zenergy chimes
Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I can't say enough positive things about the Zenergy chimes. I purchased the Zenergy trio through Amazon.com and I use it for getting my students' attention and during our literacy stations. It is so much better than trying to get the students' attention with my voice.