Reading Log - ProTeacher Community

digiscrapper

Reading Log
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have found many great book report ideas on the message boards. I can't wait to use them. I am now looking for some sort of reading log for the kids to fill in each night as they are reading.
With just some of my kids, I am finding that reading a chapter book is difficult for them. When they go to take the AR test, they are not remembering important events from the beginning of the book. I thought if I could have them do some sort of log as they read, they can review it before the AR test. Does anyone do something similiar?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

digiscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

digiscrapper

response journal
Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I actually think a better name of what I'm looking for is a response journal
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Go to Laura Candler's file cabinet...google it. She has a great reading log that I use.
She has a lot of good things on her site though!!! Check it out.

blantoh

Weekly Reading Log
Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Attached is the one I use with my class.

I also have a list of sentence starters that I give them in a page protector that stays in their notebook all year. I can't find it on my computer so it must be at school. Let me know if you want that too and I'll look harder for the digital copy.

At the beginning of the year, we work on using different sentence starter sections each week until they are comfortable with them. The first week, we might do the predicitions. The next week we might do the connections, etc. This way I'm modeling the type of responses I'd like.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Weekly Reading Log Update.doc (51.5 KB, 139 views)
blantoh is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Nightly book logs
Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Each night my students label the chapter and pages they read along with 3 reactions on a chart. I have found they this helps me know their reactions to literature and proves that they have read. I have also informed them that the 3 reactions must be spread out and cannot all be from the 1st page. Each day I put a sticker or initial in the "Teacher Check" spot. Here's a sample from a class book we read, but I've also given them a blank of this sheet and had them keep track in their notebooks as well.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Where the Red Fern Grows Book log.doc (27.5 KB, 51 views)
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Sandranelson
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My students really like my logs once we get started, before discussions they read it over and we will also share our thoughts and feelings. They like how they can write down questions or concerns....plus enjoy discussing their own points not just ones I direct them towards. Many comment on how doing this helps them remember the next day, and they like it better than comprehension questions. I have found that it has made my students better readers and note takers...but it does take a little time and positive reinforcement to get them "into" it.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

digiscrapper

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

These are wonderful ideas! I was also afraid that doing a log would turn them off from reading. It's just that I have a couple of kids who will not read a chapter book because they feel it is too hard and they don't remember the beginning of the book when it's time to take the AR test. I truly feel that they are able to read easy chapter books, but they choose to not focus on their reading and just skim. I figure that maybe if they have to jot down a sentence or two after each chapter, they will be forced to pay attention, and also realize that they are able to read a chapter book