Jammed or Broken Finger? - ProTeacher Community

sillyklutz

sillyklutz

Jammed or Broken Finger?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For some reason I can't sign in tonight????

Anyways....how do you tell the difference between a jammed finger and a broken one? I fell this past week and basically landed with my thumb "wrong." It has been almost a week and it still hurts as bad as it did the day I did it. It didn't bruise at all and is barely swollen...though I am a klutz by nature and thankfully don't bruise easily. I can bend it (though it hurts)....the place that hurts the worst is the "base" of my thumb. Anyways...I really don't want to go to the doctor if it is just a sprain or jammed. Any advice???

Ruby07

Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A jammed finger can be broken below the knuckle. Both of my DDs jammed their fingers within the past year, and after several days when the finger hadn't shown improvement, we went for xrays. Both times, it was "suspicious", and both times, it was fine.

The last time, the dr told us that even if it were broken, the treatment was the same - - "buddy tape" it to the next finger. Or in your case (since a thumb doesn't really have a "buddy - !), put a splint on it until it feels better......

good luck!

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with splinting it until it feels better! My heart goes out to you. It sounds so painful!

Nancy

lil bro

Have it looked at.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If it has been that long and it still hurts, it's doubtful that it's just jammed. And there are so many other things that could be injured besides bones around the thumb. When I fell on myine wrong, I tore a ligament all the way through.

Alicia G

Old 01-18-2010, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It could be broken. You could go to the doctor for it but s/he will most likely splint it which is something you can do at home. If you need to know, go to the doctor and ask for X-rays but if it doesn't really matter to you, then get a splint and some tape and do that for a few weeks, except when bathing or showering. Oh, if the pain is below where a splint could immobilize it, then maybe a doctor's visit would be good because you might do better with some sort of hand split/cast that holds the sore joint still.

About six years ago, I fell up two cement steps going into our house. It was nearly dinner time and I went outside to pick some tomatoes and when I fell, I had my right hand in front of me (holding the two tomatoes I picked) and landed hard on it. I was a mess with a scraped up face, both knees and and elbow skinned, and my left palm cut up. The cuts and scrapes hurt but the real pain was in my right and middle fingers of my right hand. I iced it and a few minutes later my DH got home from work and could see how beat up I was and I told him I really hurt my fingers which were beginning to swell.

DH, who has no medical training outside of reading the back of the Motrin bottle, asked me to bend my fingers. I could (though not all the way due to the swell) and he said, "Well, if you can bend them they are not broken."

For about 7 weeks, I asked him to do things around the house. I managed bigger chores like vacuuming and cooking, but I had to ask him to carry the gallon milk jug to the table and carry the laundry. Anything that pushed on my fingers hurt.

He got tired of this and called to get me an after-hours appointment. He called me and said he'd be home early to watch the kids, "Why?" "You are going to the doctor." I came back with two splinted fingers and he asked, "What are the splints for?" "My fingers are broken." "You're kidding me! They're broken? But you wiggled them for me the day you did it!" Myth busted. The doctor's appointment was his attempt to get me to carry more things!

I felt a bit vindicated.