RIT/MAP classes - ProTeacher Community

2dedicated

RIT/MAP classes
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In my school we have taken the MAPS test. Based on the children's scores they are broken into focus/RIT groups. At the end of the day the kids all go to another classroom where the instruction is strictly focused at their RIT level. I have been assigned to teach RIT level 150-160. I am looking for ideas (we are focusing on Reading only for now) that I can do in the 25 minutes that they are with me. We are not allowed to use anything pencil and paper, it all has to be interactive. Any ideas you could share with me would be great. I am new to this MAPs thing and I really don't know where to begin.

2dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

Rit/map
Old 01-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Has your school given you access to the NWEA site (https://reports.nwea.org/)? This site "holds" all your data. Once you login on the left hand side you will see an option for DesCartes. Click on it. There you will have the option to select reading. You have 3 options in reading>building vocabulary, understanding and using informational texts, and understanding and using literary texts. Select which option you are starting with. Then you can select your RIT band (150-160). It will pull up a report with skills you should be targeting at that level. From there you could do a general search for lessons on the targeted skill.

Hope this helps!
cdeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To add to the previous posters discussion. Once you know the areas of concern by looking at the reports on the NWEA site, you can use that information to find some great activities at the following site:

http://www.fcrr.org/FAIR_Search_Tool...arch_Tool.aspx

We have a weekly academic tutorial where we are supposed to work in small groups with students who did not do well on the MAP. I just use the reports and pull a group of students from that, then I pick one of the activities to work on the students with. A lot of them are center ideas so they are hands on, and can be used with a small group easily.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Head Monkey

Head Monkey

RIT Leveled activities
Old 01-23-2011, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Use the Descartes to find the skills. Then select a few to focus on to decide what areas your students need help in.
You should group your children to see what levels you have.
This should be a time for enrichment and exciting lessons. Be creative. NO worksheets. Students learn more when they are engaged in a hands learning. It is like learning to drive or write a bike the more you practice the better you get.
There are tons of way to teach anyskill.
Danielle Bea

Danielle Bea

Map Activities
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you google MAPS RIT BAND actvities you will see programs that various schools/ districts have developed that have several online (interactive) activities for students to do based on their RIT BANDS for each Reading goal. They also have the same type of set up for Math. I simply saved the link to my favorites so each student can log on as needed.