Thanks!!! (Daily 3 Math) - ProTeacher Community

luvteachin

Thanks!!! (Daily 3 Math)
Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just wanted to say "Thank you" to everyone who shared about Daily 3 (or 5) Math! I FINALLY started it this week, as a test drive -- the kids are doing great with it!! I have a very inattentive class this year -- the smaller group size has really helped to reach those kids that I'm normally having to stop instruction for to bring back to Earth!

I've split my class into two groups -- those who catch onto math concepts fairly quickly, and those who don't. Today, the ones who usually don't get it outperformed the "higher" group! I think they finally have a chance (or are forced) to participate instead of sitting back letting the others answer for them. Of course, I'm only 2 days into it, but so far, it's been the best thing I've done in a long time! I feel like I'm teaching again!!! Thanks again! You guys ROCK!!
~Toni

luvteachin is offline   Reply With Quote

4thGradeNV

just curious
Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm looking into starting Daily 3/4/5 (whatever it ends up being!) Math next year....so I'm curious as to what kind of schedule/centers you have. I teach 4th.
4thGradeNV is offline   Reply With Quote

CAGNEY

Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Please share what you are doing or what thread you got your info from! TIA
CAGNEY is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWatson

I just started
Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 4th grade and I just started doing D5 math since we got back from Christmas break. We departmentalize for math so I have only 45 minutes with no possibility of running over. We use Everyday Math and I am supposed to follow a district-created pacing guide that usually allows 2 days for each lesson. Here is a typical schedule:

Day 1
10 minutes - warm up, I use Math Minutes or Math 4 Today
15 minute - whole group mini-lesson from the text
5 minutes - explain rotations for this lesson
15 minutes - first rotation

Day 2
10 minutes - warm up
2 minutes - review of rotation options
15 minutes - second rotation
3 minutes - check in, switch activities
15 minutes - third rotation

So far my rotations have been:
Math by Myself - Math Boxes for the lesson, followed by independent fact practice
Math with Someone - Games from the math series
Math with Teacher - Review of the whole group concept, guided practice in small groups

I want to eventually phase out Math with Teacher (and do my small groups on a more CAFE-friendly, as-needed basis. I would replace that rotation with:
Math Online - Games on the computer
Math Writing - Problem solving with written explanations, a key part of our state tests

I am also working on a CAFE menu for math using the acronym PACE (Problem Solving, Accuracy, Content Knowledge, and Explain reasoning), but that it definitely in the beginning stages.

I am happy overall with the last few weeks. I just need to get the small group details worked out.
MrsWatson is offline   Reply With Quote

McD2

Old math thread...
Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is such a bummer that you can't search Peony Room, but I remembered that there was a very long thread we had going for awhile about math. And I found it...

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=210968

If you back up from this thread, probably within a week or two, I be there are more.

Hope this helps!

McD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2share

Old 01-23-2010, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

On the old Math thread post I wrote about Daily Math and my blog. My blog is www.preciouspresence.blogspot.com. I blogged about Daily Math and the games that we play. You can read it for some information, but I have since changed the scheduling.

In the beginning I started off with 4 groups and three rounds. First round I met with 2 groups, while the math support teacher met with one group. As for the two groups I met with, one would stay with me in front of the Smartboard and we worked together. While the other (higher group) individually did their work, with the invitation to join the group in front of the Smartboard if they needed assistance. In between each round I did a mini lesson from the days lesson (we use think math). This kids I wasn't meeting with would pick a game.

I never got to the third round so I changed this to only two rounds with three mini-lessons. Also, starting last week I tried allowing my kids to choose "math by myself" in either round. Again the kids have the choice to do the page with my assistance or by themselves. This has been working out well so I will try it for a little longer. This class happens to be very honest and if they need help they ask for it. Or if they feel like can do it on their own they do. The reason why I like this way rather than the groups I use to do was that the kids are not always with the same children. Also, in math it is hard to group them because the skills are so different for each unit, so the groups would be changing every two weeks anyway.

As for when the kids are not meeting with me, as I said they choose math games that give them fluency practice. More about these on my blog. I have five games and the kids are required to do all five within the week. I have a chart on my smart board. Each day I put Mon, tues, wed... under the game they played that day. This way they can see which games they have played and which games they have left.

I love doing math this way and so do my children! I am stilling waiting to see one or two more assessments to get a feel on how their grades are but I think the small groups and daily facts practice can't hurt. As "luvteachin" said they kids have a chance to participate. Also, I feel it is more fair for the more advanced kids because they sometimes get the info in two seconds and then had to sit through a 45 minute lesson. Not fair! Or they would finish the workbook page in 2 minutes, while others took a 1/2 hour. So these children would then have to read independently. Nothing wrong with reading independently but if they it is math time and they should get challenge within that extra time, not have to do a time filler.
luv2share is offline   Reply With Quote