Children sucking on their clothing - ProTeacher Community

AnnaCanTeach

Children sucking on their clothing
Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you handle the child who is constantly sucking on the ends of his shirt or the collar? I had one last year who did it until he left wet streaks on his desk and I had to ask his mom to put him in short sleeves. I've got one who just started. I know it's a sign of anxiety so I let the parents know, but do you have any wonderful words of wisdom. I've been down the "That spreads germs" path, but I know some of them can't help it.

PS - Ew! It's really gross! I swear 90% of the hand sanitizer in the classroom gets used by me! :-)

AnnaCanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Charl

Old 01-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have any ways to help you, sorry! I have had a student that did this big time though. His shirt would be soaked at the neck and then the sleeves. By the end of the day it was nasty!!! I have been told that it is due to a developmental disorder. He was very immature for his age.
Charl is online now   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Alternate
Old 01-22-2010, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Give him something else to chew on. For my students who do this, I allow them to chew on gum or other stimulating oral tool that will give them the sensation they need or satisfy the chewing pressure/tactile need.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

something to chew
Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

get a small strip of refrigerator tubing (it is FDA approved) and cut a piece. Then give to the child. You can even put it in boiled jello water for flavor. There is something the child needs by mouth in order to concentrate it seems. Let them chew on this instead of their clothing. A lot of children concentrate better when they chew something.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 01-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a student that would have the front of his shirt in shreds by the end of the day. Mom tried turtle necks and the kid switched from chewing the front of his shirt to chewing his sleeves! I cut a straw into thirds and he kept a stack in his desk to chew on when he needed it. One day he was out of straws and his need to chew was so strong that he leaned over to chew my sleeve! I tried gum but he got it all in his hair so I switched him to straws.

rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My own son does this. I notice he chews when he is nervous. Gum works with him but I know this is difficult when school does not allow it. I agree with a previous poster that a straw might be a good thing to try.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

My son
Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

does this too. He is in K. I don't think he is anxious, but now I will watch him to see what might be triggering this. I am constantly stopping him.
Any more suggestions? I will start putting him in short sleeves.
postteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-24-2010, 12:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

my 7 yo does this. He chews on *everything* and it drives me nuts!! He had issues as a 4 and 5 yo, but when he was 6, he pretty much stopped (1st grade) about halfway through the year. Heʻs been doing it all this year again. It grosses me out and weʻve tried punishment, and consequences and reminders and .... what seems to work best is just to give him an alternative to chewing his shirt or backpack. Itʻs very aggravating!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

I have had it twice in five years
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

both students were autistic. In the one case, the boy would chew or lick his shirt collar until it was wet then rub moistened seam across his lips. His lips would get all red and inflamed and later on would chap horribly.

For one is was a chewing issue--for the other is was a tactile/sensory issue.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would definitely NOT give the child anything to chew on as he could choke on it and then you have a serious legal issue! If you have a stress ball that he can squeeze that sometimes helps. He would maybe tranfer his stress to it instead of the shirt.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

AnnaCanTeach

I worry...
Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

about giving him something to chew on because the nature of first graders is to say "I want that too!" (anything to avoid my favorite first grader noise, you know... Awwwwwwww!)

I like the idea of giving him something to play with during circle activities. I don't have a stress ball, but maybe I can find something else like a pipe cleaner for him to play with.
AnnaCanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

GIve him some chewelry (I'm not joking -- google it) and give him boundaries such as "You may not chew on your shirt but you may chew on this instead." I don't really think that other kids are going to want one too. They are safe to chew on. Let mom and dad in on this, of course.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

children have different needs
Old 01-24-2010, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You are making an accommodation. Don't worry about the other kids wanting one. He obviously needs something. There is a student at my school who does this. The best year he ever had was with a teacher who didn't make a big deal out of his need to chew. The plastic tubing was suggested to her and this is what he used. Don't make a huge issue of it and don't give him punishments. Good luck.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

I don't miss that!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When I taught first grade I had a chewer every year. In 2nd I still saw it, often it was their hair they chewed. I hadn't thought about it until reading your post, but I don't have any chewers in 3rd this year. Maybe moving up in grade levels is the answer?

I know some of the teachers in my building use other things for the child to chew on such as gum or those straw necklaces. The necklaces grossed me out just as much as the shirt chewing. Actually more. At least the clothes get washed regularly. No on washes those necklaces.

I simply handled it by reminding the child that clothes are not food and we only put food in our mouths at school. So each time I saw a child chewing I would say, "Is that food?" and the child would stop chewing, at least for a while.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

jim-robe

hi
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

its a really very tough problem and one should contact child psychologist who can take that stress off from childs mind that cause him/her to do so
jim-robe is offline   Reply With Quote