Olympic theme math lab - ProTeacher Community

trishg1

Olympic theme math lab
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Once a month, our 3rd-6th graders participate in a math lab. We plan hands on activities that our 7th grade students oversee. The students rotate 7 or 8 stations. We want to use the olympics theme for February. Anyone have any great olympic themed hands-on math activities we could use?

trishg1 is online now   Reply With Quote

rm206

Olympic Math
Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's a previous post that has some olympic math ideas you may want to use.

http://www.proteacher.net/cgi-bin/as...math+&number=0

I'm very interested in your math lab. Could you give me some details?? What type of hands on activities do you use? Do you use a different theme each month? Is it a review of previously taught lessons? Are they set up one station for 3rd, one for 4th, etc or is each station for mixed abilities?

I think this is something my school may want to do, so sorry for all the questions.
Thanks for any help.
rm206 is offline   Reply With Quote

mathtch2

Metric Olympics
Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is an AIMS activity called Metric Olympics. The events are geared more towards the summer olympics than the winter olympics.

http://cmase.uark.edu/teacher/worksh...ni-metrics.pdf

There is also a great site that talks about the science behind the olympics. There are short clips for each event.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/science-of-the-games/
mathtch2 is online now   Reply With Quote

trishg1

math lab explained
Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We started it last year as a fun activity to do during testing. For that one, we did a bunch of measuring & geometry exercises. They build polygons with spaghetti & marshmallows. They measured circumference of cake circles with yarn, they found the perimeter & area of the cafeteria. It was such a success, we decided to do it monthly this year.

Our first one was all operations. Many of the activities came from Mailbox. We have groups of 3rd -4th, and then 5th-6th to keep the math on level for them. At that point, 3rd was not yet doing multiplication, so those stations did addition/subtraction instead. In November it was "the price is right" and all the activities dealt with money. They shopped magazines with a budget, ordered grocery items least to greatest, tallied Scholastic orders, shopped for items in a recipe...In December we did a cooking lab. They made cinnamon-glue ornaments, bags of hot cocoa, and a shortcake (using the book & recipe from Cook-a-doodle-doo). For the older kids, they had to use equivalent fractions becuase I wouldn't give them the "right" measuring cups.
Today was a cruise theme, not all math, and we were all decked out in floral shirts & sunglasses. They had to weigh food at the buffet table- they could only get 10 oz of food (we had the kids bring in tropical fruits). They made island landforms with playdough, decorated & addressed postcards....

We are blessed in that we have a group of older students to man the stations. Once everything is set up, the teachers can just stand back and watch.

INteach6

Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow! The math lab sounds like so much fun. How do you fund it? I know that would be the biggest thing at our school, but I could see doing it with just the sixth graders. Thanks for sharing all your neat ideas.

INteach6 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm in a private school...there is no budget nor are there any funds for anything. We just ask parents to send in things, and they magically appear.