Help

ARCHIVE

Math Fact Fluency

>

CREATIVITY

Math Fact Fluency
Old 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering how the rest of you assess fluency in math in first grade. What are the desired goals? Are there certain facts that they are supposed to know at a certain rate? If anyone has any websites, assessments or anything else, please help! I want to make sure I'm giving my kids what they need. Thanks!

CREATIVITY is offline   Reply With Quote

lgm90

fluency
Old 01-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In our district, we assess addition and subtraction facts to 10 three times a year. (2nd, 3rd, 4th marking periods) We have a one assessment paper that we use all three times. It has 30 equations. We time the students for 2 minutes. The following are the benchmarks.

14-30 correct (meets the standard)
9-13 correct (working toward the standard)
0-8 correct ( Area of concern)

I feel that assessing fluency in first grade is not developmental appropriate, but it is part of the report card.
I hope this helps.
lgm90 is offline   Reply With Quote

coolbeans

We don't have "formal"
Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

assessment on math facts fluency but we do daily speed tests starting after Christmas. We have "sets" of tests. For example, set 1 consists of 0 and 1's: 5+1, 6+0 etc. There are 30 problems on a half sheet. We start out giving the students 5 minutes then we cut down to three once they get some speed.

The students have to pass the same test two times in one set before they can proceed to the next set. We keep a chart to help keep up with all the different levels.
coolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote

must_b_crazy

Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our district, they do not want us teaching memorization of math facts, like using timed math tests. They want us covering things "in depth" and to masterly and I think second handles the memorization of it. But I liked to used Mad Minutes, when I had a highed level class, and they loved them.
must_b_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.gteacher

I teach 1st/2nd grade
Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our students start timed math facts tests the first month of school. It is too early for some and they have no idea what to do. The first one is the benchmark (which is the end of the year test) to see what they know and still need to work on. Every month for progress monitoring I have to use the end of the year test, but use the leveled test in between to help the kids master the level that they are working on.
They have to be able to pass a 25 question facts to/from 18 test, with 85% or higher by the end of the year. They get 5 minutes to complete these. There are levels that they have to complete starting with facts to/from 8, then it moves up to facts to/from 18.
My second graders have to complete a 50 question mixed facts to/from 20 test by the end of the year.
In between these I use the timed math facts tests from the back of the Evan Moor Basic Math Skills book. I also have One Minute Math books that I can use.
If you have a subscription to enchantedlearning, abcteach, or edhelper, you can make your own math facts timed tests.

Here are a few math websites that might have timed math tests:
http://www.math-drills.com/
http://www.mathfactcafe.com/
http://www.mathworksheetwizard.com/

personally I don't think 1st graders are developmentally ready for timed math facts tests, but I have to give them.

ms.gteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BLT09

Otter Creek = Perfect Practice
Old 01-30-2010, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My school just started using Otter Creek in November. It is a fluency program which allows students to get oral practice and they take a one minute timed test every day. There are 26 levels for addition, subtraction, and multiplication labeled A-Z. All of my students are working on addition flency right now. They are on levels B-K depending on facts they've already mastered. The thing is for each level they only introduce four new problems. For example, Level B' new problems could be 5+1=7, 1+=7, 2+3=5, 3+2=5 it will also include all the problems from Level A too. Each level is a review of some of the previous problems and two new problems with their reciprocals. Each student has an individual goal to meet or beat. If Sally's goal is 24 problems correct and she gets 29 correct on the one minute that day, her new goal i 29 and she moves on to the next level. Everyday I pair students up and they get five minutes of oral practice. One person has the practicebooklet and the oher has the answers. They have to ay the problem aloud while their partner checks their anwers. They have to say "two plus two euals four." If the student gets it wrong, the checker tells them the correct problem and answer. THe person then says the problem three times correctly. We then take a one minute time test based on whatever level the student is on. On Fridays, we take a two minute test, which they also have a goal for, that includes all the stubtraction facts, level A-Z. After student completes to level Z for addition, they will start at Level A for subtraction facts. I've seen a huge difference in my students fact fluency in the short time we've done the program.
BLT09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Educamator

Timed Tests
Old 01-30-2010, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just started given my 1st graders timed (1 minute) math fact fluency tests for their +0 and +1 facts. I give them 10 facts per page.

I use www.mathfactcafe.com to create the tests.
Educamator is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Mad Minute
Old 01-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used Mad Minutes in third grade, so this year when I moved down to 1st/2nd I decided what the heck. I only have 8 first graders and all but one love them. The one who doesn't love them it is because she is brilliant, but she is still at a first grade level for the time it takes her to add (she uses her fingers quite a bit, doesn't memorize, etc..) vs. everything else takes her no time at all. They have 3 minutes to do 30 problems. I have no concept if that is too much time or not. I just figured in third grade I gave them a minute and 15 seconds, so I give 2nd two minutes, and figured 1st should have three. They have to get at least 27/30 correct and then they get to move on to the next one.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

girlsclass

fast facts
Old 01-31-2010, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We give 50 problems with 3 minutes. It is very difficult for most of them. This is a school requirement not necessarliy district.
girlsclass is offline   Reply With Quote

jana

jana
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Be sure to check what your state's P.A.S.S. standards are first. Our math standards were just revised a few mos. ago and now studs. have to be fluent in subtr. facts and add. facts to 18.

I assess several things:

First of all: Can stud. model the process?

Next: Can he /she write a number sentence for pictoral math facts?

Next: Can he/she solve subtr. facts? If yes, how does he she do this?

What strategy is he/she applying?

I make my own tests based upon where we are in the "scope and sequence" of things.
Students then are given manips.; (usually Unifix cubes), and then are asked to erect their privacy screens to take the test. I DO NOT time their test. Usually, even the slowest students are finshed within 45 minutes or so.

*Privacy screens are made by me.

*P.A.S.S." stands for Priority Academic Student Skills. It seems that district by distric, state by state, these can vary quite a bit I have found.
jana is offline   Reply With Quote