Teddy Roosevelt for 1st grade - ProTeacher Community

auburnteacher

Teddy Roosevelt for 1st grade
Old 02-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in need of some grade level appropriate ideas/activities for 1st grade on Theodore Roosevelt. Anything would be wonderful

auburnteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teach@345

Teddy Bears
Old 02-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since he was the idea behind this children's toy, you may want to incorporate a picture book story about a teddy bear, talk about the history of the teddy bear and/or bring in teddy bears. I personally like the story related to the song "The Teddy Bear Picnic." You can get a copy of the book (along with the song sung by Bing Crosby) by Jimmy Kennedy at half.com.

(I haven't taught first grade in many years, so it's possible that our first graders today would find this activity "babyish" but I thought it would be fun and get all the kids connected to a man who lived so long ago...)
teach@345 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach@345

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
Old 02-13-2010, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found a website www.teddyroosevelt.com that has tons of information about this president, including the short story about the origin of the teddy bear. This website has beautiful photos, too. If you have access to a Smartboard, then this may be a perfect way to show your students more about him.

Study of any national parks may be a fun research project for your class. They could make advertisements or brochures for different parks.

Have fun!
teach@345 is offline   Reply With Quote