Managing and Keeping Good Reading and Writing Conference Notes - ProTeacher Community

star2teacher

Managing and Keeping Good Reading and Writing Conference Notes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have struggled and continue to struggle with keeping good reading and writing conference notes. Does anybody have any templates, examples or suggestions for making it work and be useful? I mean how can I use them to guide my instruction? How can I keep them short and they still be useful? Do you use short hand? I find that I tend to write too much. I need a smaller space I think.

star2teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Dee Dee

great idea
Old 02-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What a great idea to organize all these notes. I keep mine in a book but I would love some way to coordinate them and use some kind of chart to show similar problems, needs, growth, etc. I hope someone comes up with an idea. Another teacher told me she had found something on Busy Teacher's Cafe site but she didn't /wouldn't share it with me.
Dee Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

scarf_and_mit

labels
Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

at one time, i did pretty well with a sticky label system. i got those sheets of mini address labels and printed on them:
kid's name or number and a space for the date
strength:
worked on:
future topics:
every time i met with someone in writing, however brief, i would write a strength i noticed in the writing - convention, craft, something positive; whatever we worked on - whether it was finding sight words on the word wall, editing, or developing an appropriate ending, etc.; and a future topic of something i see needs work. just a few words for each because there is not much room on that sticky note.
every few days, i would fill up a whole page of labels and attach them to a sheet in each kids' file. but before i would put them up, i made lists of kids with similar future topics. i picked out the ones i noticed the most to do whole group lessons, and then i pulled small groups if i had 2-6 kids who needed work on another.
hope this helps someone!
scarf_and_mit is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

I just made a class record sheet
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It may be helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: doc master blank class record keeping at a glance monthly.doc (60.5 KB, 477 views)
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

star2teacher

Busybee4 Thanks for sharing
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks a million this does help me. If you come across any other great ways of keeping conference notes please post them. I'm going to use this as soon as I get myself dug out from this BLIZZARD

star2teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Dee Dee

great aid
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks, Busy Bee! I love what you made. I am going to use it. It is wonderful.
Dee Dee is offline   Reply With Quote