Linking Verb and Helping Verb Help! - ProTeacher Community

FrogLady

Linking Verb and Helping Verb Help!
Old 10-15-2006, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First off I must say that I think my brain is fried already when I ask this question. ha ha How do you explain and have students undersatnd the difference between linking and helping verbs? I am in despeate need for suggestions. I have a cute song for helping verbs. But, what is the big difference between the two? Thank you all for hopefully not laughing while you respond to my lovely question. ha ha

Socks

Linking and Helping Verbs...
Old 10-15-2006, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think this is the case. If someone else out there knows I'm wrong, please let me know!

I think that linking verbs are the verbs whereas helping verbs help the verb.

For example:
Linking Verb - She is a student. (is links she to student)
Helping Verb - She is working on her paper. (is helps working)

Does that make sense??

Last edited by Socks; 10-15-2006 at 07:08 PM..

yeagley

Helping and Linking Verbs
Old 10-22-2006, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had my second graders memorize a list of helping and linking verbs last year....

is are
was were
be been am
have has had
do does did
may might must
can could
shall should
will would

I explained to my students to look for the words that we memorized in the chant above... then look at the next word that follows it... if that word was a verb then the word was a helping verb, but if it was not, for example if it was a noun, than the word is a linking verb.

I hope that makes sense. My students really had a blast with the chant and really had a firm grasp on the concept of linking vs. helping verbs. Hope this helps.

jch

grammar
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have found the Easy Grammar book an great resource for explaining parts of speech. They are mainly designed for the home school population, but give clear explanations of all grammar. They come in different levels for different classes. I don't use it exclusively, but helps when you need some basics.

I use a song to the tune of "Jingle Bells" to teach the helping verbs. I also have a song the tune of "Yankee Doodle" to teach prepositions. The first thing I teach in the fall is prepositions so that the students can cross out the prepositional phrases to make it easier to find the subject/verb.