Help

ARCHIVE

ecosystems

>

tch3rd

ecosystems
Old 10-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for ideas on teaching ecosystems to third graders. Can anyone help? Thanks.

tch3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Don

Don

Ecosystems
Old 10-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ECA Science has a program that uses two-liter bottles that are used to make a terrarium and an aquarium. If you would like more info., you can email me directly at Loonfifth@aol.com.

Ms. J

Teaching Ecosystems
Old 10-16-2006, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught ecosystems to my third graders last year, and they really enjoyed it. Before we started the unit, we talked about living things. To introduce the unit, I read them I SEE A KOOKABURRA! This book focuses on the different animals found in different parts of the world. It's a really cool book for this topic!

Then we fill out a chart together which focuses on the different ecosystems and the different organisms found them. Throughout this process, books on different ecosystems are available which I checked out from the library. We partner read some of these while I read others to the entire class. A good author to check out is Jean Craighead George.

As a culminating activity, students choose what ecosystem they would like to learn more about. I put them into groups, and they do mini-research on that ecosystem as a small group. They record their findings and create a mural to share with the class.
Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynetteapo

food web
Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There's always the ever-popular create a food web activity. Each child is assigned an organism. Then connect the students using yarn to show how everything is connected. Finally, extend the activity by saying that there's a drought or insecticide was sprayed and having everyone affected step forward to loosen their string, then everyone else whose string is loosened steps forward (or drops their string).
Lynetteapo is offline   Reply With Quote

NewTeacher7

Old 03-18-2009, 12:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi there,
I am a new teacher (hence the name... haha) and I am about to start a unit on ecology. I am looking for small activities to incorporate in to my unit.
I am not a 'science' person, so I am a bit stumped with this unit- but I want it to be fun for the students! Any resources/activity ideas/lesson plans that you have would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know and I will provide you with my email. Thanks!

NewTeacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote