Perfect Attendance Board - ProTeacher Community

sstahl

Perfect Attendance Board
Old 10-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some ideas for a Perfect Attendance bulletin board. Would like to use some kind of a theme, but right now I am stumped. Need to change it quarterly. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

sstahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 10-16-2006, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe blue ribbons or something.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I'm not for rewarding perfect attendance. I don't know about you, but it seems that the kids that get perfect attendance have a few days in there that they SHOULD be home. You know the kid who says, "Well, I had a fever at breakfast but Mom gave me Motrin so I could come to school" or the one hacking like an emphysema patient, etc.

If the ONLY reward for perfect attendance is a name on the board, perhaps that's okay (I wouldn't do it) but I wouldn't reward otherwise. For some kids, the reward is enough to fake being well when not well.

ALong the same line, I'm not fond of kindergarten classes having tooth charts where kids get stickers each time a tooth falls out. My dd loved this because she lost EIGHT teeth in kindergarten. However, her best friend (only two days younger that dd) lost NO teeth until early second grade. It's just genetics, but when this kid has eight stickers and this other kid has NO stickers to track lost teeth, well, there's something fishy there. A better solution would be to discuss genetics (and how it's just fine to not lose teeth in kindergarten) and then perhaps make a graph using simply filled in boxes. You can then use the graph to find total teeth lost, average number of teeth, etc.

Alicia G
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

EL

Attendance Board
Old 10-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about "A+ Attendance"?
EL is offline   Reply With Quote
cpercival10

cpercival10

Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For quarterly perfect attendance bulletin boards, how about including calendar pages for those months on the board as a background (the same way you'd use a map as the background if you're making a bulletin for travel or people/places from around the world). In addition to using calendar pages for those months, you can also use stickers or cut outs of items that represent that season (e.g. Winter - snowflakes, snowmen, snow shovels & winter hats; Fall - leaves, acorns and pumpkins, etc.) Then place names on snowmen, leaves, etc. Hope that helps.

sstahl

Perfect Attendance Bulletin Board
Old 11-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the ideas!

sstahl is offline   Reply With Quote

jch

perfect attendence
Old 11-03-2006, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school district is very rural, and we have major attendence issues. Many students must be absent for orthodontia, medical, and other appointments. A doctor's appointment can mean a 6 hour round trip. But we do have our share of kids who just --- stay home!

Our district recognizes not only perfect attendence, but also "faithful attendence." Faithful attendence is determined at less than 3 days a year.

Required trips out of town for the purposes stated above and sports events (the closest team in our athletic district is 3 hours away by bus) was a major factor in our district trying a 4-day week this year.
jch is offline   Reply With Quote
gbf

gbf

social worker
Old 12-01-2006, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do an attendance board quarterly. the caption above it is "Attendance Impacts Student Acheivement" then I put "Perfect Attendance for the 1st Quarter". I use Class of 2011 and Class of 2012 instead of 7th and 8th grade- and then list the names. I also put signs around the board that discribe the criteria we use for perfect attendance (no tardies, no early-dismissals, enrolled a minimum of 20 days etc...). Usually for the next three quarters I also list students with 1 absence because our perfect attendance decreases and others still need recognition. The students love to stop and read the names!
Iliana Perez

Iliana Perez

Teen Divas
Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am also thinking of creative ways to improve attendance through visuals such as bulleton boards. The school that I work in also has attendance issues. Our school is only made up of teen-age moms or soon to be moms. Of course they and thier children have appointments with the Dr., child support, workforce, TDHS, and court. Unfortunately the state does not recognize teen moms so the rate of absentees are high.

I am doing a "Diva Day" where every 4 weeks we take them out to eat and have speakers for them such as UCAS (cosmotalogy), they do hair nail, facials, for free as college hours)

Another idea is a race against grade levels! Have your piems clerk print out the attendance for the week for each grade level and see what grade has the most perfect attendance. I also need help with the decorating! Maybe we can have a raffle every week just for the grade with the highest pefect attendance.

P.S. in a hurry so i apologize for any grammatical errors!

maybe a raffle