2nd grade interview - ProTeacher Community

snowball

2nd grade interview
Old 02-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught 5th grade and now have an interview for a 2nd grade position Tues, what are key items I should be prepared to answer for this grade? Thanks

snowball is offline   Reply With Quote

Jody

possible questions
Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think utmost and foremost a good interviewer will ask you questions about how you will teach reading since this is a focal point in the primary grades.They may want to know how you will run your guided reading groups and what the other kids will be doing while you are tending to that ( literacy centers ect..). Math is also critically important at this level. Will you or do you plan on using manipulatives? Questions related to classroom management will no doubt come up - have a plan in place. It probably won't differ to much from your experience in 5th grade. How will you grade the students ( what is your grading policy?) This will probably coincide with whatever plan is presently in place. I think they will look for you to be confident and show them the professional you are. Highlight the fact that since you have taught 5th you are an asset as you know where they need to go. How are you feeling about teaching a primary grade?
Jody is offline   Reply With Quote

jde3399

Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A lot of what Jody said is what they asked me. They also asked about what kind of classroom environment do you foster and how can you relate what they are learning to real life. If you are interviewing at a different school, I would look to see if they have a website for second grade to see what is going on. Make sure you go over the state standards for second grade as well.
jde3399 is online now   Reply With Quote

snowball

interview
Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

thank you for the responses - Jody, I love teaching the older students and feel it may be a bit of an adjustment teaching 2nd grade as they are more reliant on teacher instructions to be able to just start working independantly, on the flip side I am confident enough in my teaching abilities to be able to work in this grade level. Are they all reading by 2nd grade? Do you do alot of word work / phonics in 2nd?

booklady57

Second graders
Old 02-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

are reading at a variety of levels. Some come in still working on basic decoding, and others are reading longer chapter books. The vast majority are somewhere in between. (I have students working from DRA level 4 to 40 in my class.) This is the year that most transition from picture books to short chapter books. Phonics is still a big skill, so yes, word work will be a regular part of your instruction. On the other hand, with training most second graders are capable of working independently for parts of the day. It's a wonderful age!

booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jody

second grade characteristics
Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love teaching second grade. There is no pressure with respect to state tests. I incorporate a lot of phonics into the curriculum but also focus on reading as a meaning making activity. I do find that if they don't know how to decode words or if other "word attack" strategies have not been developed, they are not able to read more challenging material. I do agree with other responders to this thread that most come in reading at different levels. Two of my groups are reading chapter books. I use the Magic Treehouse books for both groups. I do a lot with the books and we spend weeks on them. The use of these books for guided reading leads to many interesting discussions and related activities. I love the non fiction in them and they work well for the more reluctant readers ( especially the boys). I am sure you will do fine - you sound experienced and eager to begin. I am not sure that I would be happy making the change to 5th but I think once a teacher always a teacher ( no matter the grade level). Godspeed in your venture - let us know if you need anything else.

snowball

Thank you
Old 02-16-2010, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

the advice was wonderful and allowed me to be prepared...my interview went well and I am one of three people being asked to come do a demo lesson!!! not sure on the topic just yet.

Jody

congrads
Old 02-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh that is great! You must have wowed them - let us know.

askaggs

observation for interview
Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So i am in the same boat as you are! I am interviewed and was one of 3 called back in and am meeting with the teacher tommorrow to find out what subject I will be teaching on. Have you taught yet and if so what was your subject? Did you get the job?
askaggs is offline   Reply With Quote