looking for cute book report display ideas - ProTeacher Community

dusty

looking for cute book report display ideas
Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For read across america day we are going to have a "celebrate reading day" instead. I would like to have my students individually create some kind of book report (mini) that shows the characters/settings/plot of a book that they have read or that we have read aloud but i would like to do more than just a form on a piece of paper. does anyone have any cute ideas for displaying "our favorite books" or "retelling" or "we love reading"?
thanks

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

irishteacher

Book report ideas
Old 02-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do lots of literary book projects. We have the kids do paper dolls and paper plate puppets of the main characters. We have them do a collage the setting of a book. They do a "sequence" caterpillar where they have title and the sequence of events on different parts of a paper caterpillar.
irishteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dusty

irishteacher
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks for the response. could you please explain the collage for the setting a little bit and what characters you have used in the past to make paper plate puppets? (is that easy for them to make?)
thanks
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

acorn

Snowmen
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was in a school not my own and I saw 2nd graders had done a neat snowmen on poster boards. The snowman had story info on the scarf, face, buttons etc... Each snowman was unique and done well. I was so attracted by their work I stopped to read these really neat book reports.
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote

1stgradefun

Collage Setting/Snowman
Old 02-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would love to hear more about the setting collage and snowman book report. Sounds very cute!

1stgradefun is offline   Reply With Quote

pinklady2

favourite book from author study
Old 02-20-2010, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This may not be exactly what you are looking for... but we did an author study of Jan Brett books. At the end, each child decided which book was their favourite & did a "poster" to advertise it. I told the students that we would put them up in the hall and that it might introduce books to some other students who had never read them before...therefore they really needed to do their best work. And they did! The poster was really just a piece paper with a line for the title at the top (students could just copy it off the book). Then the author's name underneath. Next they completed the sentence "This book is about ______." trying to summarize the book in a simple way. In the middle they drew a picture related to the book. At the bottom, they completed this sentence " I liked this book because __________." We attached the paper to a piece of coloured construction paper that was slightly larger. Around the border, students drew a pattern of something that related to the book, such as a mitten and a bear for the Mitten book, as Jan Brett includes borders in her books. These turned out really well.
I think you could have your students pick any book that you or they have read this year and complete a similar project. It's pretty grade one friendly!
pinklady2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SingleTree

Book Reports
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have my students do a "canned report". The student may use a different kind of can such as a coffee can, large vegetable can, etc. for his/her report. The student reads a story of their choice. They have to decorate the can to resemble the story. I give them a worksheet which includes the story elements.This is usually a homework assignment so that the parents can be involved with knowing what their child is learning in class. The can contains objects in which the student will use to tell about their story. The worksheet is designed to help them with their presentation. I usually spread out the presentations over a one week period sending home notes explaining the assignment and when the presentation is due. It's exciting to watch the understanding of the story elements come to life and the students love watching each other present and tell a story.

Also, if you will visit www.bagladiesonline.com this website has wonderful ideas to do reports with paper plates and brown paper sacks. Have Fun!!
SingleTree is offline   Reply With Quote