Isp & iep - ProTeacher Community

Joey

Isp & iep
Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
Can anyone explain the exact difference between ISP (Individualized Services Plan) & IEP (Individualized Education Plan)? Is the ISP only used in special homes for students (private settings)? And IEP only in public settings? Thanks!

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I never heard of an ISP...
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe it has something to do with whether the student gets speech, occupational therapy, or physical therapy, or counseling, or other services not related to academics. There are some residential type homes for children with extremely severe behavior issues but they are part of the district. Sorry, I'm really no help.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

gingercat

ISP clarification
Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ISP is a service plan that is used for private schools like catholic/lutheran/christian schools. The local school district writes the service plan for students who are identified and eligible for services. IEP's are used for students who are in the public schools and/or in settings such as residential placements. IFSP are Individualized Family Service Plan are written for students birth to 3 who have been identified with disabilities.
Hope that helps!
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Joey

Isp
Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I thought my message back had posted--I guess not haha. Anyways, yes, it does help clarify the difference...thank you! So, the school I am going to visit is a school of students that live there and have special needs (ED, LD, MR, Autism, etc). and they use ISP. I am guessing that they use this in place of an IEP (even though this isn't a religious school)? Are ISP's similiar to IEP's in any way? I have never written an ISP, but if they ask me if I am familiar with it, I would like to know about them. I have written IEP's, so if it is similiar that would help a little. Any other info you have about ISPs? I tried searching online, but not much to offer. Thanks again

doright

Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my district an ISP is far less paperwork than an IEP. We only offer consultation as a service with ISP. It contains a cover page, services, goals, notes and signature. It has a section which details the fact that the parent declined FAPE and chose private school. I have done these for different types of private schools and even home-schooled students.

doright is online now   Reply With Quote

Joey

More questions...
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What is FAPE?
Does this mean the parents are involved in ISPs?
The IEP and ISPs seem so alike! I don't understand why they need 2 different kinds..

newspedteach

Fape
Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

free appropriate public education

I've never heard of an ISP.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

doright

Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our ISP is after the parent decides not to attend public school. We still have to offer a service, which is done with the ISP. It is far less paperwork than the IEP, but similar. As I stated before the services are minimal.
doright is online now   Reply With Quote

Joey

Thanks...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Now I am understanding...was just confusing to me at first. Thank you!
pescy

pescy

Old 12-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

An ISP is a service plan for private schools and IEP is an education plan for public schools. The difference is that an ISP provides what it says "service" and IEP provides a "program."
So, in a public school if a student is not functioning in a large setting and a smaller setting is more appopriate, the students program would be changed from mainstream setting to Resource Room Setting (small group). Most private schools do not provide such programming, so a student would receive a service of being pulled out maybe once a week for 45 mins. These programs and services vary by state as well.