2nd grade abeka spelling - ProTeacher Community

5fry

5fry

2nd grade abeka spelling
Old 02-18-2010, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When taking a 2nd grade spelling test, with ABEKA, are the students required to correctly spell the vocab words, or just be able to give the definitions. They are just introduced new the second semester. The vocab words are VERY long, such as Knowledge, and they do not go along with the special sounds from the week. Students are having a very hard time with the vocab spelling.
All help would be appreciated! Thanks

multigrade

question
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use Bob Jones, but have a question. Are you free to make those kinds of decisions or do they 'come down from above'?
This is an honest question. I am realizing the freedom I have. Other schools around here use ABeka.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote
5fry

5fry

spelling
Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it should be up to the teacher, but I know ABEKA follows a very strict set of guidelines and was wondering if in their WRITTEN cirriculum, it was stated as to exactly HOW it was to be graded.
I taught Bob Jones one year too. I feel the teacher should have liberty, so I do agree with you, but was wondering the "technical" answer for a discussion I am having with another teacher. We may not see eye to eye.........so to speak.☺

multigrade

Old 02-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
wondering the "technical" answer for a discussion I am having with another teacher.
Good luck.
I truly hope I don't ever have to teach ABeka. (Those who love ABeka, please don't be offended. It's just not 'me'.)
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

rbailey1970

ABEKA spelling
Old 02-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been teaching ABEKA for the last 10 years and I'm a graduate of PCC. The "correct" way of giving/grading a 2nd grade spelling test is this: You dictate the 20 spelling words and then give ONE of the vocab words in a dictated sentence or have the students write a sentence using one of the vocab words correctly. You count off 4 points for every misspelled word including the vocab word. Any misspelled words or incorrect capitalization in the sentence is worth 1 point. You do not take more than 5 points off the sentence.

That being said, I think you could do whatever works for you and your students. I believe that the goal of ABEKA spelling is teaching the application of special sounds, so that students can spell those big words as they get older. : )

I'm a big fan of ABEKA, so if you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to try and answer.

Have a great day!!!

rbailey1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
5fry

5fry

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you so much for posting an answer to my question. It was helpful and appreciative! All the sudden I went........ah yes, it all came back to me!!
Have a great day!
I grew up in Abeka in the 70's and 80's and I have taught it the mid 90's at a Christian school and more recently as a homeschool Mom and then again as a sub.........I needed a refresher!