writing words with letters out of order-should I be concerned? - ProTeacher Community

mgirl

writing words with letters out of order-should I be concerned?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,
I have a student who writes words backwards-for example he may write ti for it, or ta for at-he is spelling the word from left to write so it isn't that he is literally writing backwards but his letters are out of order. The other day he wrote fnu for fun...I am having a hard time finding research on this-is it development like backwards letters or could it be something more serious?
Thanks!!

mgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

I would watch it closely.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How is this child doing overall? I find that this tends to lessen closer to the end of the year, and when it does not there is often a learning disability for those kids who also struggle with reading and writing skill acquisition. I call them my red flags to pay close attention to-and I do. I have two this year who still do it and both are having more struggles to learn how to read and one how to write than the rest of my class. I meet with them daily either 1-1 or in a small 1-3 group. I mention this to parents, because it can be common but begin to lesson by age 7/8.
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

just keep an eye on him
Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 1st and 2nd, and it's normal for this to happen in 1st, and sometimes into 2nd. I point out the mistakes, and make sure that they can correct it. If he doesn't see what's wrong, then you can bring it up to whoever it is you bring concerns to, just to start a paper trail. But I've seen that fairly often, and it almost always straightens out. Just remind him that writing is the same as reading, left to right. You might want to draw a little arrow pointing to the right over the words that he mixes up as a cue to correct them.
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

mgirl

Old 02-21-2010, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This child is having trouble reading too. I wasn't sure if I should mention it as a concern to the parents or tell them it is developmental. I will definitely make them aware and say it is something we will need to watch. Thanks!
mgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ktmom

Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At this point in the year I would be concerned- if he's not a "young" 1st grader. (May to summer birthday.) Does he read "easy" words he already knows the wrong way? no for on, saw for was, etc.... Does he labor over reading, with very stilted word by word reading? These may indicate a problem. I would bring him up to the appropriate person on your campus, mine is the Assistant Principal.

Many students with learning disabilities or dyslexia are not identified until it's a huge problem for them. It's not always a developmental thing. A word of caution...talk with someone on your campus before you talk with the parents. Also having another experienced person read with him can help.

Last edited by ktmom; 02-24-2010 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: add info
ktmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Travis U

Travis U

Doesn't seem to always start young
Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am 30 years old and for the past few years I have been mixing the letters up. It only appears to be the second and third letter of the words, and doesn't happen on every word, but it does seem to happen daily. I do this on a keyboard as well as with pen and paper. I am very smart, and have no problems physically or mentally, but this does drive me nuts. I always recognize that the words are misspelled when I see them. The only benefit I can see from this is that it makes for very good reports because I do so much doublechecking and grammar check.
College Grl

College Grl

Writing words out of order
Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm concerned with this myself. I am actually a college student, and sometimes completely write my letters out of order because I am in such a rush to copy down information. Now I do this unintentionally. Perhaps your student is saying the words allowed in his head, but is focusing on the vowels of the word instead of the constanants.