If I lose my job, can I collect unemployment? - ProTeacher Community

tammynj

If I lose my job, can I collect unemployment?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am probably (hopefully) projecting, but budget cuts are looming at my school (and almost everywhere else!). If I find out in April or May that I have no job for September, and my last paycheck is in June.... Then what? I am a single mom, the sole source of income for my DS and I. I know I should cross that bridge if I come to it, but it's been the topic of discussion at school and I am starting to get really worried. (Yes, I am one of the newer people there)

My question is this - am I eligible for unemployment if I do lose my position and cannot find another job? I know we don't get unemployment in the summer (of course not) but what about regular unemployment?

laughoften

Old 02-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes you will get unemployment. I almost finalized the paperwork last year when I got called back.

We'll go through this season's budget cuts together tammynj!!!

Lady Teacher

It was a while ago
Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but I was let go from a charter school where I taught and I was able to file for unemployment and get it. The going rate at the moment is $362 per week. I hope you are able to keep your job and that you won't have to worry about this.

I ♥ cats

Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I believe that you can. My SIL worked as a TA at my old school and got fired () and I know that she collected it. I always thought you could get unemployment anytime you didn't voluntarily leave a job. Best of luck, I know this situation has to be so stressful for you!

angelajw

unemployment
Old 02-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am not sure but wondering for myself as well. We have been told that our school has one too many teachers and I am the newest one. All teachers new to the district are signed on a temp one year contract with no guarantee for another year - to weed out those they don't like. I am hoping to stay at my school in my position but who knows. I may be sent elsewhere to keep a job or nowhere? Scary times.

KrisCPom

Yes!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last year my friend lost her job because of budget cuts. The morning of the last day of school she filled out her unemployment paper work. She ended up having issues with her social security number and birthday so it took until almost the end of July to get it figured out (we got out mid-June). They ended up paying her back unemployment for the weeks she had missed because of the issues and paid her up until the first day of school (she ended up getting her job back in August). They told her they paid her until her new contract started. So yes you will be able to collect unemployment and should be able to collect it over the summer.

Fireflie

Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you are not being rehired you should be eligible for unemployment. The last time I was unemployed was many years ago. We were allowed to sign on for unemployment in the summer as long as we could prove that we weren't being rehired.

coasttocoast

Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I collected unemployment starting two weeks after the school year ended. I don't know if it is by state or not, but in MN the Monday after your last day you apply and then after the two week grace period you get your first payment.

JenInWV

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think you would qualify if you worked for a public school, but if you work for a private religious school, you might not. Christian organizations are not required by law to pay into unemployment. I am assuming the rules are the same for all religious schools, not just those based on the Christian faith. I hope that things work out and you don't need to file, though.

Hifiman

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes. I'm doing the unemployment thing right now.

KC14

yes you can
Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As long as you have a letter stating that you will not be rehired, unemployment starts the first week after June 30. I can't remember if you are NY or NJ but NJ teachers are paid through June 30 even if school ends earlier. NJ unemployment is quite a bit higher than a previous poster posted although I am certain it does depend on your salary.

bandmom

Old 02-22-2010, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Oh, Tammy, I so hope you don't have to do that!

cally

Unemployment
Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yes you can collect unemployment. My first year of teaching I was let go due to budget cuts. I had to get a pink slip from the Board of Ed. downtown but I was able to collect it all summer long because our contact ends each year on June 30th and the new contract starts again on July 1st. Hope this helps

chronicfun

Tammy,
Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

it sounds like you'll be able to collect, but I sure will pray that you don't have to!!! I'm sorry you are going through this right now. It just sucks the big one everywhere!!!

Moana Mel

Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

It varies state to state. I sure hope it won't come to that! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

LKG8

Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yup, I'm collecting unemployment right now too, and have been since September. When it runs out, I will be getting a part-time evening job, but I'm not sure I'll ever return to teaching. Too political in this town (and anywhere else, I'm sure) and I'm not cut out for all the bullcrap. But anway, that wasn't your question....

Yes, if you are laid off, you can get unemployment.

AD

Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Yes! I was cut in April last year, so I started collecting unemployment the first week of summer break. I got my job towards the end of August, so I stopped collecting at that time. I will be doing the same thing this summer.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If it happens (and hopefully it won't!) you will still get your summer paychecks, then yes, you should be able to collect unemployment.

For how long have you been teaching?

Nancy

Tounces

depends
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

You may be able to depending on what state you work in. Some states have changed the rules just for teachers. In Minnesota you cannot collect unemployment any more-you used to be able to. Now you have to wait until September to prove you didn't get rehired. Maybe if you can show them a paper showing you are terminated you can-but just being laid off is harder to prove these days. You may want to start applying to other school districts now if you haven't already. Don't wait for them to tell you and not be prepared.

Bethany

Oh, tammy...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'll keep you in my prayers. I really hope that you never have to worry about that.

rebeccav

Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I'll sign up with you tammy! I am expecting a pink slip in 2 weeks. I have been teaching 12 years. 11 years in my current district.

My girlfriend was pink slipped officially in May (second round) and received unemployment all summer and then was brought back the first week.

norcalteach

Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Yes, I'm on unemployment right now in CA; in fact my first claim just ran out and now I'm onto the first extension of I think 20 extra weeks. Hopefully it can continue after that as they are laying off more teachers this year and the few open positions in Norcal often have 100's of applicants. It will get better! Especially when they start seeing the devastating effects this will have on the students.

tammynj

Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thanks for the advice and input. I really hope it doesn't happen. It makes me very scared... And I am finally in a position I love, in a public school... I am trying to not worry about it yet, but...