What's the best way to keep up with grading papers? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fourth Grade

What's the best way to keep up with grading papers?

>

New2_5thGrade

What's the best way to keep up with grading papers?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel so behind right now. I have last weeks worth of homework and papers that need to be graded...AAAHHHH,lol. What's some of your ways the work best with keeping up with paper work? I hate grading papers. It has to be the worst part of teaching.

thanks...

New2_5thGrade is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How much of homework do you grade? I grade spelling and any reading/writing homework I give. I tend not to grade math homework. I'll check in the morning for completion and then we'll go over it as a class. My class generally only has math, spelling and to read 25 minutes nightly. I collect all spelling homework on Fridays and grade it then (which I usually do while my kids are at specials). I don't necessarily grade all of my paper either. Instead I look over it and then in my notebook, I make any notes of things the kids are struggling with.
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 02-24-2010, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do not grade homework. I just check for completion. I glance through like a pp stated and take note of anything that the kids missed. We correct math hw together before each lesson and the spelling I basically look through to make sure they completed it. If there are a lot things to correct and actually grade, I sit and watch my shows and correct after I put my kids to bed. I try to correct anything while still in school during prep, but things come up, so I do take some home each day after work.

lurner4

Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just wondering how you think students feel about not having their work graded? I once heard high schoolers talking about how it "s**cks" that they do work and the teacher doesn't grade it and hand it back! I can understand how they feel because, when I was doing master work, I was frustrated when my professors did not grade my papers in a timely manner. Students take the time to complete assignments; it is only right that they get graded for their efforts. Most work students do in my 4th grade, classwork and homework, is reviewed and graded.
lurner4 is offline   Reply With Quote

mlk56

I don't grade h.w.....
Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

either, my students receive points for completion. I feel h.w. is reinforcement for what was taught in class that day.......if a student is having difficulty understanding, then it would be unfair to take it for a grade.

mlk56 is offline   Reply With Quote

boyzmom

grading homework
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I go over math homework at the beginning of math. The langauge arts material I go over during langauge arts. I only check for completion in my gradebook. I give full credit, half credit for incomplete work, or no credit. I also tell parents that unless it has a rubric score it isn't part of the grades for report cards. I have a practice stamp that I put on anything that we don't grade. Finally, I stamp every paper that hits my desk. The kids think the stamp means they have been given credit. I have trained them that if it doesn't have a stamp they haven't gotten credit. This way, they check. Sometimes I just stamp it and send it back. They just check for the stamp.
boyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanine1111

Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do not grade homework. I just check for completion. I grade test, quizzes, writing, and projects.
jeanine1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsSusko

Let your students help!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Some homework can simply be check for completion. I have a clipboard with each student's name on it. I have 2 homework helpers that check the morning's homework for completion. Then, we'll go over it as a class. Sometimes I'll have them trade papers to "be the teacher" and check each other's work. They love it! Of course this doesn't work for all assignments, but it will work for most! Good luck!
MrsSusko is offline   Reply With Quote

shel312

Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I grade most of my HW for completion. I walk around with a "full credit" stamp that I ordered from vistaprint and stamp their paper if it is all done. If it is partially complete, I write a number on it, depending on how much is done (HW is worth 5 points per assign.) Then I go over it, collect it, and just make a check mark in the grade book, (or number if not complete). Sometimes I will collect an assign and grade it--maybe once a week.
shel312 is offline   Reply With Quote

dan4th

Trash can is your best friend
Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If it is important enough to grade it should be work done in class, not at home. Homework is for reinforcing, practice, get parents involved with child's work, etc. Tatum is right about grading in class if you want to give feedback. Weekly work, just have a thank you note for kids who completed the work, and a note home to kids who didn't complete/turn in work. Of course, you want to keep some samples for the file...other wise, use your home recycling bin for most of it.
dan4th is offline   Reply With Quote

New2_5thGrade

Ok...
Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I see alot of you don't really grade hw and that makes sense. I do grade it but use the grades as effort grades. I may be putting alot of work on myself by doing this though.
New2_5thGrade is offline   Reply With Quote

occupationtra

grading
Old 02-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our county policy is elementary homework CANNOT be graded! I love that policy! It's because we don't know who is doing the HW--parent, sibling, copying off a friend, etc. We check math homework during math, word study hw I just see if they did or not in the morning and reading hw (once a week they have a comprehension page) I do check to see if it is correct--if it is, they get a stamp, if it's not, they fix what's wrong.

As for other assignments--I try to grade quick things during planning, or as kids get out snacks, transition, etc-->multiple choice assignments, mini quizzes, anything fast.

Bigger tests or quizzes that I can't do in a few minutes, I try to get done that day--either during planning, right after school or first thing the next morning.

In math, I only grade quizzes and tests. Independent class work they check with a partner and right how many they got wrong at the top. I collect them at least weekly and skim through--if I know there was a hard problem, I might check that one specifically, or if I know a kid is having problems, I'll check his more carefully. They get a check for completion. If a lot of problems are wrong, they get it back to correct.

I try to get one grade a week per subject--some like reading might have 2 some week.
occupationtra is offline   Reply With Quote

MacMamaG

Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have the kids help me. At the beginning of each lesson I post the answers on the smart board. They are only allowed to have markers in hand and they check their own work. Then we go over the ones they had problems with. Unfortunately that does not work with writing papers I teach fourth grade and always find myself up late reading papers. This is my first year in fourth grade so maybe once I get the hang of grading them I won't take me as long :-)
MacMamaG is offline   Reply With Quote

hapahaolemama

grading
Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We don't grade anything that is done at home because just like a PP said you don't know who did the work. I check for completion each day and we correct homework together at the beginning of the day. At that point we discuss any questions that may have been difficult.
hapahaolemama is offline   Reply With Quote

Green_eyed_Ga

Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

At one time I graded homework, but not anymore. When the kids come into the classroom I put up the answer key for the homework. They grade it and then turn it in. I look over it. I have been quizzing them 2-3 times a week on the homework...I take a few problems right off the homework page and have them do it in class. I grade the quizzes and the grade goes into my gradebook. If they don't do the homework they have to fill out a pink slip and turn it in. I will put these into their folders and show parents if needed.
Green_eyed_Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Love2nd

Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I assign math homework and spelling homework each night. I have a check plus, check, check minus system for homework. In the morning I check to make sure they did each assignment completely.. if they did I give them a "gotcha card" which is our incentive in the school. If they didn't, they owe me that assignment.

I collect homework at this time and while they do their morning work (sentence edits and problem of the day for math) I check these off in my gradebook. If it's complete and neat they get a check plus. If its complete but could be completed neater they get a check, if it's messy or incomplete they get a check minus. I skim also to make sure things aren't completely wrong. I also feel that homework is a reinforcer, not something that should hold a huge grade. I use these checks as effort for reading and spelling grades.

For math, I either collect and do the same thing with the checks or if we have time that day (some days we're rushing because of specials, the Y, or MCAS prep) we'll go over it as a group. I like to do this because once again it reinforces the skill previously taught and its a good segway for the next math lesson.

A lot of times, for spelling tests and math timed tests they switch with a partner, no pencils are out only a color, and we correct together. Then I can collect, make sure everythigns in order, and they are already graded.

I only collect and grade papers and tests and comprehension questions. I agree that if it's assigned, you should pass it back with some sort of grade or note or mark on it. I hated when I got papers back without anything on it -- I felt like it had no purpose and I wouldn't want my kids to think that.. but I don't spend tons of time on the little things.

I usually have everything corrected that I assign that day. I do it in the morning while they are doing their morning work, at specials, or 10 min at lunch!
Love2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsBaldwin

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

SOOOO what I do! Use my home trash can =)
MrsBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

HAYMOMY

Just a thought. . .
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

One of the most memorable moments in my program was when a professor shared that she NEVER credits homework for any grade other than responsibility, because (and as a parent I know this to be true) "How much of the actual work was independent and how much was "guided" by parents?" I review and correct homework when necessary, I collect homework and check off who is doing homework, but I never allow it to serve as an actual grade for a skill.
HAYMOMY is offline   Reply With Quote

cincyteacher

Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I collect all assignments but only grade most. If my students thought I wasn't going to at least look at their work they wouldn't do it, but unfortunately, many of my students don't do their homework anyway. I determine the significance of each particular assignment for my gradebook and whether, overall, the class understood the lesson that homework goes with. I never grade papers turned in from a sub. The subs I have are almost always incompetent and tell my students the wrong things, which only confuses them. However, I do give my students "credit" or points towards assignments they did complete but I only reviewed and did not grade.
cincyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote