SRA Reading Mastery Signature Series - ProTeacher Community

cmack

SRA Reading Mastery Signature Series
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does your school use this program? Our K-5 building adopted it school wide last year. This year the classes are ability grouped. We are hoping to stay away from grouping that way next year. For each child to read at their instructional level, the teacher would have to be able to provide 2-3 different direct instruction lessons (30 minutes each). This is not practical. We've thought about "walking to read" but are not sure about the logistics of implementing that. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

cmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms.SB

Old 03-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We used that at my last school. I HATED it. The lower level grades were all bizarre stories, and I don't feel the methods were the best. Very scripted. Once you hit the third grade book, it's mostly stories w/ comprehension questions.

I prefer guided reading, which is what we implemented when we got rid of that.
Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

We use it.....
Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use it for K-5 and I really hate it!!! Our kids are ability grouped-the stories are very boring and...the instruction is scripted-Direct Instruction....the emphasis is on comprehension and there is no enrichment...I provide supplementary instruction for fluency-using Tim Rasinski Fluency First and I use Word Ladders for vocabulary. I also use reading centers to supplement the DI. I do not like ability grouping-we take turns each year (third grade) teaching low, middle or high group and when it is my year to teach the "low" group, I feel so bad because-1. There are no models in the class for good reading and 2. The kids know they are in the low group and the behavior is not the best. Some teachers run two groups-they direct instruct while the other group is doing the workbook comprehension work from the day before and then alternate that each day. When the kids are done with their work-they go to centers. I am looking forward to an inclusive reading program.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Sra
Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hate using this!!! It is just a bit "old" for me. I don't quite know how to describe it. I just don't like it. I was bored with it and so were the kids.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Total yuck on SRA
Old 03-05-2010, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and every one of their programs. They're such a farce--they should be out of business.

maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

cmack

I agree!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't think there is a teacher in our building that likes it. However, we are stuck with it. We're trying to make the best of it. Our school has a lot of mobility, so ability grouping is very difficult! ARRRRGH!

kristabel

Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I disagree. I love it and so do my students. It's all in how you present it.
kristabel is offline   Reply With Quote

kspotter

Reading Mastery
Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My school uses Reading Mastery Plus in K-1 (2nd and 3rd switched to Scott Foresman this year). I will admit that for the first 2 years I too hated it, but after that I became very familiar with the program, read the teacher's guide repeatedly to try to understand the methods and had a LOW group last year that it worked wonders with. In the past we have switched reading groups (walk to read) but this year the classes were ability grouped and we keep our own kids. I usually have 2 groups thus 2 scripted lessons daily but often I've had to split them into 3 groups (a little harder but not much). Even then I have been able on many days to do multiple lessons with my students. I am devastated that so many of our teachers want to do away with it next year. I hope we don't. I have "embraced" the program and am thrilled with the progress my students are making.
kspotter is offline   Reply With Quote

cmack

it is frustrating
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Opal:

that sounds a lot like what we do. The problem we are running into is that our population turns over so frequently, that it is almost impossible to actually place a student where he/she "belongs". So the whole concept of teaching them at their instructional level is "out the window".

cmack

high student mobility?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

kspotter:

Does your school have a high student turnover? Ours does and it is extremely difficult to place everyone in a classroom that is at their instructional level while continuing to keep class sizes where they should be. I like your attitude that you are willing to teach 2 or 3 scripted lessons daily. Not everyone is willing to and/or organized enough to do that!

kspotter

Reading Mastery
Old 03-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our turnover rate isn't that big. We have 3 first grade classrooms with 6 or 7 groups at varying levels. We've never NOT been able to find or create an appropriate group for our students. Sometimes it requires giving a student a little extra intervention during the day but mainly we can put them in a group close to their ability and use the repetition and individual turns provided in a direct instruction program to bring them "up" to the group level.

As for being organized - I've found that the scripted program requires MUCH LESS organization than others, especially after you become familiar with it. Once you learn when you are going to "read the fast way" or "sound it out", etc. it becomes second nature. The teacher knows what to expect and the kids know what to expect.

Usually every year in January and February I get a little "shaky" about how the kids are doing but by March almost all the lightbulbs go on and we zoom. Such has been the case this year - I can barely keep up with the kids right now - they have all finally "cracked the code" and are making huge gains. I am often doing 3 and four lessons a day with them. They have gained so much self-confidence and consider themselves good readers.

After my 90 minute literacy block I also have an additional hour in which to teach writing and other skills. I am currently teaching main idea and sequencing.
kspotter is offline   Reply With Quote