Suggestions needed to teach Text to World Connections - ProTeacher Community

twobee

Suggestions needed to teach Text to World Connections
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach second grade. I believe my students are doing well when it comes to making Text to Self and Text to Text Connections. However, they are struggling to understand the concept of making a Text to World Connection. I am looking for some suggestions to explain and model this concept. TIA

twobee is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsbono

text-to-world
Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have read that connecting text to something seen on TV or read in newspapers can be considered text-to-world.

I like to think about it connecting to a current event. For example, in a magic treehouse book about an earthquake..the students can take what they know about the disaster in Haiti and apply it to the events of the book.

Or...if they connect it to something they learned about in Social Studies or Science...they may think it's a text-to-self because it's something THEY learned about, but it could be considered text-to-world.

For example, when we read The Sneetches, a little girl in my class connected it to what we had just learned about Martin Luther King Jr and the segregation of African Americans.

I copied this from a website:

"Text-to-world:
What does this remind me of in the real world?
How is this text similar to things that happen in the real world?
How is this different from things that happen in the real world?
How did that part relate to the world around me?"
mrsbono is offline   Reply With Quote

cub005

I always
Old 03-07-2010, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

read a non-fiction book about some type of animal. I think I read something about Penguins this year. When I finished I asked them to think of other animals that swim, what are other animals that live in cold water, what are other animals that eat fish? I try to do it as a whole group lesson. When we do it together I model how to write my text to world connection and then draw it. The next day I read another book on a different animal and have them think--what other animal does this, what other animal is ..... Then they have to think of one on their on and draw and write the connection. (by the way I teach first so I don't know if this would be too easy for them or not.)
cub005 is offline   Reply With Quote

purduegirl

The Lorax
Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did this with my 3rd grade kiddos, not sure if it would work in 2nd grade or not. My students are very aware of the environment and the affects of pollution. We read Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, and they made some beautiful text to world connections. I'm not sure if your kids are there yet though!
purduegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

peaceteacher

text to world
Old 03-21-2010, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Text to world is really anything that they haven't read (text) or hasn't happened to them (self).

I tell the kids that if you heard about from a friend, saw it on TV, watched a movie about it then it is text to world. It happened in the world around them, others have the connection and now they are making the connection through others.

peaceteacher is offline   Reply With Quote