Abeka Question - ProTeacher Community

teachergal09

Abeka Question
Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It seems to be the general consenus in public schools that Abeka is really not a good textbook to use and is particularly bad in Science and Math. My private school does not use Abeka but rather Houghton Mifflin. In my opinion the Abeka books are SO much stronger in Math and English than their Houghton Mifflin counterparts. Does anyone else agree that Abeka gets a bad wrap? I think it's a wonderful resource and would love for my school (or just my grade!) to adopt it.

teachergal09 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had not realized that ABeka was 'not a real textbook' to some of our ps counterparts. That surprised me!

I was considered a 'Christian unschooler' while homeschooling, so I have 'issues' with ABeka, but certainly not because it doesn't cover the material!

I'm sorry to hear this.
multigrade is online now   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 03-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Abeka math does a great job at teaching drill & procedures in math, but I have found that kids do not understand why they do what they do. We use our leftover abeka materials to supplement math (we have harcourt).

As far as language, I hate abeka. They use King James English in later years, and the students spend more time trying to comprehend the sentence than diagramming. In early years they don't call nouns nouns but "naming words." I much prefer Houghton Mifflin to Abeka language.
trishg1 is online now   Reply With Quote

greenfoilgirl

Old 03-14-2010, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that Abeka is great for things that need to be memorized, but it totally lacks in the "whys and wherefores." Having taught Abeka in 5th/6th grades and now in pre-K, I think you would find it very stressful and confusing for your students if you tried to use it for just your grade level. It is a good resource, but I would not push for it to be used.
greenfoilgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

aboes

Houghton Mifflin Math
Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just finished taking a 3 credit class in math (Developing Mathematical Thinking) that we need now to recertify in our state. According to the NCTM, we have done too much drill and memorization in our math, and not enough of the "why" and "how come this algorithm works every time." Our school uses Houghton Mifflin, and I'm amazed and how well this text does address this. However, I'm also finding new resources and my class is a wealth of resources for exploring math concepts. This is my first year teaching 5th after 4 years in primary. Initially, I put the manipulatives away. After this, I've pulled them back out again. We have open discussions about why an algorithm works, and working through a problem using different algorithms.

I'll admit that I'm working way harder now, but the kids are loving it and we are finding new and creative ways to solve problems together. However, I do wish that I could take about 3 students back to relearn multiplication facts. But I can see that their problem stems from not understanding how multiplication works, and not that they need to memorize the facts.

I'm not familiar with Abeka, but I think the national trend is to more of the math I see with the Houghton Mifflin program.

aboes is offline   Reply With Quote

jahope

3-4th Abeka teacher
Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This was my first year working with the Abeka myself. My children were acquainted with some of the Abeka materials in school. They all graduated from ACE schools. I have taught ACE for over 20 years and was asked to take a 3-4th grade combined class this year. I loved it. Expecially the math and science. I feel they had the oral drill that is so lacking in 3-4th grade students for multiplication tables and all math face as a whole. I was satisfied completely. The 3rd grade Spelling words are more difficult but my students rose to the challenge. I agree with you about ABEKA. I don't know what kind of school you are in, but ours turned out really well doing the ABEKA curriculum. Jo Alford
jahope is offline   Reply With Quote