Walk to Intervention - ProTeacher Community

1st Gr is Fun

Walk to Intervention
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My team and I follow a Walk to Intervention model during a 30 minute block in the afternoons. For this rotation, I am working with on and above-level reading students. I want to do some fun, literature based follow-up activities to favorite stories, but my mind is blank! Can anybody provide some fun ideas? I want them to be fun (this is the stuff we normally don't have time for) and beneficial. Thanks in advance for any input!

1st Gr is Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Malene

Art/Literature activities
Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just went to a techology workshop and there was a art teacher who had alot of ideas for literature and art activities. She even does claymation and stop action animation with the advanced students during rti time. Here is her webpage
http://www.branson.k12.mo.us/school_...ntary/seamanr/
also check for ideas at www.deepspacesparkle.blogspot.com
www.ironspringsart.blogspot.com
Malene is offline   Reply With Quote

mgirl

ideas
Old 03-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think alternate endings are always fun for students. You could read a favorite story then go through the writing process to come up with alternate endings then have a publishing party at the end of it.
We just did a skippyjon jones story, first we read a handful of skippyjon books and then listed the things all the books had in common and then we wrote a group skippyjon story then all students wrote their own story. They actually turned out REALLY cute. (We did this as a writing activity but maybe you could do a lesser version in a reading block?)
mgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

pearl1

Walk to Intervention
Old 03-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My first grade does this. I have the 'second to lowest'. My buddy does the enrichment and very well. One of the things she is doing: Magic Tree House series with different activities. She just finished Mummies in the Morning. Did all kinds of cool stuff. Did the knight one and made personalized coats of arms and more. Anyway she is the expert. I am working on fluency and other such exciting stuff. I am new to this great site and not sure about all rules, etc. My fellow teacher would love to tell you all about it. How could we do this? E-mail? We are on spring break this week.
pearl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1st Gr is Fun

Any tips
Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

would be great. I've done enrichment with Magic Tree House books in the past with my higher-level kids. My only problem this year is that I only get 3 days a week 30 minutes with these kids for Walk-to-Intervention... would her activities be able to be accomplished in this short amount of time?

1st Gr is Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

pearl1

Magic Treehouse
Old 03-26-2010, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't see why not. Easy for me to say as I haven't done it. We do 5 days, 30 minutes. I would think you could just pick and choose activities. Which books do you think you want to do? I'll ask her if she has plans and get back to you.
pearl1 is offline   Reply With Quote