Behavior management for 2-3 year old class - ProTeacher Community

Lorax

Behavior management for 2-3 year old class
Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm trying to get a handle on a difficult class of very young children. My previous experience has always been with older kids, and I'm finding that a lot of those methods aren't very effective with ones so young. I'm not a big fan of reward systems, but I'm at my wits end, and need to create some semblance of order in this class... for my sanity. We have good days and bad days, but much of the time things just feel chaotic. The kids are all over the place, hitting each other, throwing toys, yelling. I've tried positive reinforcement, TO. I even tried creating a closing circle where we discussed how they did that day and gave out stickers, but their attention spans are about 2 seconds. All they seemed to care about were the stickers. Anyway, I would be grateful for any advice or ideas you might have.
Thanks!

Lorax is offline   Reply With Quote

SignGirl16

Stickers
Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If they are into the whole sticker thing, run with it! I am constantly giving stickers and praise to my students who ARE on task or doing the right thing. "Oh, everyone look at "Dan" and how he's sitting criss cross/picking up/etc. Dan come get a sticker, thank you!"

I also have good behavior tree. Our classroom theme is monkeys. If the child has stayed on green all day/had good behavior, their monkey climbs to the next spot on the tree. Once a monkey reaches the top of the tree, the child can pick from the treasure box.

Do you have a color system you use for behavior mod?
SignGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote