how far can a 4 year old be expected to walk? - ProTeacher Community

aussie-mel

how far can a 4 year old be expected to walk?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone come across any resources that explain how far a 4 year old should be able to walk? There are a few very active children in my preschool who are pushed to preschool in strollers. I think it should take one mother about 10 minutes to walk to the preschool and another one about 15 to 20 minutes. I realise that it would take the families longer if the 4 year olds were to walk. One parent may be using the stroller because she finds it difficult to control her child.
Any ideas?

aussie-mel is offline   Reply With Quote

greenfoilgirl

Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was a nanny, I would walk my 3yo charge to school - just over a mile. I took a wagon or a stroller. Most mornings she would start out riding, but then get out and walk the rest of the way. On the way home, she rarely wanted to ride - only when she was exhausted. Only concern I had about her walking was that the walk was along a very busy street.

Some parents use walking to school as their own exercise time. And walking at a 4yo's pace will not get their heart rate up to where they want it.
greenfoilgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwilemon

Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I babysat a 4 year old last summer and we went on many hikes and I never had to carry her. She is rather small for a 4 year old and was still able to do it. I took her on several steep 2 mile hikes and some more gradual 3.5/4 miles hikes.
kiwilemon is offline   Reply With Quote
walk

walk

walk
Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A 15-20 minute walk could completely tire a kid out and make for a grumpy day at school. I think as the PP mentioned using a combination of a stroller and walking is a great option that way the child is not expected to walk the whole way if they cannot do it. Do you think this is a problem? I don't think it should be a problem for you as long as they come to school.

FancyFish

Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 2 year old can walk for about 40 minutes total, then crash. She would be useless at school, so it's quite possible that were some of your students to walk they would then be too tired to participate. Also, if I am walking for exercise, then my kids come in the stroller. My DD dawdles along, and it's not exactly a cardio workout.

FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
MissAmber

MissAmber

4 year old's exercise
Old 03-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My four year old walks every day with her sisters (who are 6 and 9) at least one mile on Tues, Thurs and Sat but Mon, Wed and Fri we walk 6 miles to the beach and back and she plays while she's there, it shouldn't be hard for a four year old to walk at least a mile. I know that my children are probably a little more active than most (they do cardio and mild strength training with resistance bands too) but most of her friends can keep up on the short walk days no problem.