Landforms - ProTeacher Community

Helen

Landforms
Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are studying landforms. I'd like to make salt dough projects. Does anyone have a simple recipe? How long does it take to dry? Any ideas on how to make this a successful small group activity.

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote

3Teach

Salt Dough Recipe
Old 10-22-2006, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Salt Dough

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
cup water
1 teaspoon oil
a few drops brown food coloring

Mix the salt and flour in a large bowl and then add the water. Knead the mixture until it becomes smooth and elastic.

Store in baggie to prevent dough from drying out.
3Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Wolfie

We just finished studying landforms.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The students in my class were each able to pick one landform to create with their dough. We did "research" on the different landforms and looked at pictures online and in books, so their models would be realistic. I gave each of them a large index card where they had to write a definition for their landform, three facts, and a place we could find that landform in the world. I also preprinted some basic information I found on-line about each landform, and the children studying the same landform worked in groups to pull out the information that they needed to find. I was really impressed at how great their projects turned out. Our projects were dry after 2 nights (I gave each child about a tennis ball size amount of dough.) Lucky for me, our art teacher was on board with the project and she let the students paint their landforms in her classroom. She did a whole lesson on mixing colors to create realistic colors found in our world! One tip I have is the student that added very small details to their pieces were disappointed when palm tree leaves (on the island) or animals' (living on the plains) tails broke off. I would probably advise my students next time to use the paint to add the details because the dough breaks easily. Have fun!
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote