Help

ARCHIVE

HELP....what is the purpose of a glyph?

>

Miller

HELP....what is the purpose of a glyph?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it to have each child represent things they like, or can they all look the same?

I'm being observed Wednesday and I wanted to use a glyph as a "what to do when you're done" and I was going to make an "english quiz" so once the kids are done all the pumpkins would look the same. Can I do that?

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Gators

Old 10-22-2006, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From what I understand glyph usually tell about a person. For example, at the beginning of the year we made a name glyph. First letter of your name solid color if girl, pattern if boy. Next letter of name stripes if you are 6, circles if 7, squares if 8. Since they are used to tell about a person I would think the goal is to not have them look the same. For example there are pumpkin glyphs that exist that eyes are triangle if girl, square if boy or other identifying things about a person. Sorry if this doesn't help much. Can you explain more about your idea I am kind of confused. Good Luck.
Go Gators is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 10-22-2006, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've done glyphs before and I know when I did them, the kids answered questions about what they liked or what pertained to them.

The kids will have a pumpkin shape and question one would say: "Wow, you have the largest pumpkin!" exclaimed Jen.

brown stem- The sentence is a quotation.
green stem- The sentence is a question.

So all kids should have brown stems because it is a quotation.

I would ask quiz type questions and their answers would be reflected in their picture.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

different quizzes..
Old 10-22-2006, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What if you made up several versions of the quiz? Then you could have the children discuss and discover why all the pumpkins look different. To me that would be more interesting and the kids may learn more from it.

Amy
Ilvtching is online now   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think that's a neat idea for a quiz! I don't know that I would call it a glyph- maybe something like coloring quiz.

kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 10-22-2006, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use glyphs with my students as following oral directions activities. We just did a scarecrow out of Mailbox magazine a couple of weeks ago. They had to follow directions and answer basic questions. All the scarecrows look different because each child is different. They're adorable and really had my kiddos engaged and listening attentively.
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

n2n2n2n

glyph
Old 10-23-2006, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have always thought of a glyph as a way to collect and display / analyze data. I use it in my data management strand of the math. We have also used it as getting to know you type of activity.
eg, the number of buttons on gingerbread tells how in family so question might be :how many children in this class have 5 people in their family" etc. We use glyphs because they don't all look the same and the children have to really look at the data contained in them and decide what the glyphs are showing us.

I don't think I am clear on how you would do an "english quiz" to get pumpkins all looking the same?????????
n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote

n2n2n2n

oh...
Old 10-23-2006, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

oh
I just read your second posting and now I see what youmean about an English quiz. That would work. Just not sure if that is a glyph .......
n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with n2n2n...

Glyphs are ways to collect and analyze data. I use glyphs to go along with our graphing unit in math.

For instance we just did jack o'lantern glyphs. If your costume had a mask your stem would point to the left. The eyes told about their costume type. The nose told their favorite type of candy. The shape of the pumpkin told us if a boy or girl had made it. ETC...

I hung about 10 of the finished pumpkins up, labeld them A-J and wrote out some questions for the class to answer using the glyphs.

How many people are wearing a mask with their costume?
Which jack o'lanterns were made by girls?
How many people will be wearing a scary costume?

I hung up the next 10 on another day for them to answer more questions.
donna is online now   Reply With Quote