Envision or Everyday Math - ProTeacher Community

hsteph

Envision or Everyday Math
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school currently uses the old Everyday Math. Thee are parts I like better than others. We are adopting new textbooks next year, and were told to choose between the new Everyday Math or Envision. What do you feel are the pros/cons of each? Anyone have experience with both? Which do you prefer? Thanks!

hsteph is offline   Reply With Quote

CoolNana

Envision?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't heard of this math program. Who publishes it?
CoolNana is offline   Reply With Quote

hsteph

Publisher
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I believe it's Pearson (Scott Foresman-Addison Wesley).
hsteph is offline   Reply With Quote

3rdgradeguy

Everyday Math
Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am not familiar with Envision, but my school just started the new Everyday Math series this year. Having used EM (the old one) for the last few years, I was unsure as well. I really enjoy the new series much better. Yes, the concepts are the same and many lessons are the same, but there are many improvements, including better placement of content found in the problems in the Math boxes, the distribution of Probability (instead of saving it all for the end), and my favorite: A daily grade for each student that gives a decent snapshot. I feel like I'm inside my kids' heads a lot more this year due to that. Hopefully this helps, any other ?s, let me know.
3rdgradeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

lmhamze

envision
Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district adopted Envision last year (previously we used Every Day Math) and I have to say it is pretty much the best math program I have ever used! Last year I was a bit overwhelmed because they give you so many resources that I felt like I could literally teach math all day (the only con I can think of). However, having gotten used to all of the pieces and understanding the best ways to use them in my class I love the resource. The kids love it becuase a part of the lesson is an interactive video that is shown online which is very engaging. There are even online manipulatives like base ten blocks that the kids enjoy. They also provide reteaching and enrichment worksheets for every lesson which makes it very easy to differentiate for students needs. Their is also a Quick Check to give your students at the end of each lesson so that you can really see who is grasping the concepts. I have used every day math as well and it is fine, but given the choice I would much more prefer Envision!

lmhamze is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherDude24

Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is good to know. I am taking a break from middle school math for a while and going to try out elementary next year. Our district has adopted EnVison Math. I will probably supplement with my own stuff, but the videos and interactive manipulatives sound cool. I have a Smart Board, so it will give me a reason to actually use it.
TeacherDude24 is offline   Reply With Quote
holhoutx

holhoutx

EnVision Math
Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is my second year using the program and I really love it. It is easy and at the same time has a lot of critical thinking. Students like it a lot.