Classroom cookbook - ProTeacher Community

nicbeauty

Classroom cookbook
Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!
Has anyone made a class cook book as a mother's day project?? I need suggestions on how to get started. Any help would be great!

nicbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 03-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did this when student teaching ~ we were reading a book (I believe Thunder Cake or Jalapeno Bagels) where there were recipes in the story. We did some work on following recipes. I told parents I wanted to continue this theme of recipes and asked all parents to send in a copy of their child's favorite recipe that the parents cook for their child to share with the class.

I then typed the recipes in a word document, the students colored the pages with a border or background of their own design. We attached a little not from the child stating why they liked the meal so much and included their picture and made color copies for the class and used the spiral bindings to hold them together. I think the cover page was a Mother's Day poem.
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We just did one as part of a writing unit on technical writing. I asked each family to make a recipe at home with their child. Then, the kids worked on writing a recipe as a part of writing.

I bet it would be really cute with a mixture of recipes and stories about their moms!

I had students write theirs on lined paper (I got some fun food-themed paper). Then, they decorated a small paper I taped on. I copied everything and bound it.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

hayleyjo

Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did this last year for the first time. I had my kids think of their favorite recipe and write down the ingredients, temp, how long, and step by step. For the cover, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some scrapbooking paper when it was 1/2 off. I tried to buy different designs to fit my kids personalities. I took their picture with a chart paper made chef hat and brought an apron, mixing bowl, etc from home and took their picture for the cover. I wanted the kids to type their recipes, but I ran out of time so I did the typing and added their picture to it. I thought they turned out really cute and plan to do the same thing again this year.
hayleyjo is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

two ideas for the cookbook
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We made a recipe book for with a cooking gift basket for a school event. I told the kids to pick a favorite thing and write the recipe. I put the words recipe and ingredients and lines on it. They decorated around the edge of the page. I used clip art for a cover and laminated it....it turned out very cute. It is cute to see what they picked and how they described it. Some Moms thought it was cute. I did this rather than the below option mostly because we ran out of time...but I'm glad I did.

My daughter made a recipe book once for Mother's Day. They each brought a real recipe. Someone typed it. The kids made dividers for each section and the cover. It was then bound together. I loved that as well and still have it.

hope this helps! Good luck!

ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

i would do a Mommy and Me Cookbook
Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would select healthy, relatively easy recipes that the kids could cook with their Mom or Dad. It would make a great go to summer activity. I would allow each child to select a favorite from several choices. I would add the child's picture to personalize the recipe. I would also add some teacher's choice recipes. I would include some general cooking terms for a glossary in the book to be helpful. I would add some suggestions like doubling a recipe or cutting a recipe in half for a math challenge. I would put in measurement resources like three teaspoons equals one Tablespoon. I would give some substitutes like a dollop of sour cream instead of an egg, so the kids can do a a little experimenting. I would do snacks, breakfast, lunch and dinner section.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Ella's mom

book
Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are currently doing a class cookbook. We read Jalapeno Bagels and will be reading Thunder Cake. I add the recipes from both stories, one of my own and a recipe from each child. I take a picture of my class holding cooking utensils for the front cover. They turn out really good.
Ella's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

bita

cook book
Old 03-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did that last year. I ask all he parents from my students to send me their favorite recipe or the one my student most like. with ingredients and cook time and everything. Once receive I type them all and made a recipe book with the mother and child name at the bottom of each recipe. I look for a nice picture of a chef hat to use it as a front page and named it "My second Grade Recipe Book". Some mothers send me a hot cake recipe and were embarrassed of the simple recipe they send and why didn't I tell them I was going to do that but I thought it will be a surprise. And with the recipe I made an apron of thick plastic to give it with it with the picture of the chef hat in one of the pockets and it came out really good. The mothers loved it and I got new recipe for me too.
bita is offline   Reply With Quote

nicbeauty

thanks everyone!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I guess I better get started on this project Mother's day will be here before we know it!
Maybe I can assign it during spring break! Thanks again proteacher friends!
nicbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote

creator4fun

parent letter?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Does anyone have their parent letter that sent home for this great cookbook?
creator4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This idea is great!! Thanks for sharing.
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

g8tr410

letter
Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would love a copy of the letter to. I think this is a great idea and need something new to do.
g8tr410 is offline   Reply With Quote