Recommendations for lit cir. books - ProTeacher Community

livehappy

Recommendations for lit cir. books
Old 03-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My third grade team has been given the opportunity to purchase new books to use for literature circles. We are looking for some books that are a little more updated that would be interesting for the new generation. We were also looking for some books that are realistic fiction that would be more like stories third graders write. If anyone has suggestions I would love them!!

livehappy is offline   Reply With Quote

mantato

Old 03-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you considered the Magic Treehouse series? The majority of them are 2nd-4th grade level, so you would be able to match books with your readers' needs very easily. I like them because they are not only fiction, but teach about different topics that interest 3rd graders.
mantato is offline   Reply With Quote

PAJess888

Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Depending on the reading level of your students, these are some realistic fiction books I've used:

Because of Winn Dixie
Clementine
Judy Moody
How to Steal a Dog
Bridge to Teribithia
Nancy Drew (mystery)
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Boxcar children (mystery)
Cam Jansen (mystery)
Jigsaw Jones (mystery)

Some of them are older, but the kids like them. I try to mix it up with different genres for them to choose from, but the mysteries I listed have realistic characters the kids can relate to. After I teach "book clubs" using Because of Winn Dixie, I let my kids choose which book they want to read in the next cycles. Realistic fiction is the most popular and will probaby get you the biggest bang for your buck in regards to student interest.
PAJess888 is offline   Reply With Quote
teachem3

teachem3

Teach third
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would like to know why you use Because of Winn Dixie for third grade. I am new at this and I am always baffled about which books to choose. I have some very high readers who rea d almost all fantasy stuff-dragons, Olympians, etc. I want to introduce them to a different genre in Guided Reading. I was hoping to use My Side of the Mountain because I really think it would interest them. I could use any suggestions!I am looking for a guide or plan for a small group at this time.

Happy Knitter

Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Because of Winn Dixie is a great book for the very advanced readers. It's a DRA level 40. Opal is 10 years old. A good rule of thumb (so I learned in college and have found it to be true) is that the age of the character is generally the "just right" age for the reader. That's a rough estimate. So it's pretty close!

Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

LangArtsLuvr

Recommendations
Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I was hoping to use My Side of the Mountain because I really think it would interest them.
I'm pretty sure the reading level for My Side of the Mountain is 5th grade. Unless your students are very advanced readers, it wouldn't be the right level for guided reading in third grade.

These are all end of 3rd grade reading level (DRA 38-40)

Mouse and the Motorcycle
Ralph S. Mouse
Runaway Ralph
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
The Trumpet of the Swan
How to Eat Fried Worms

These are mid-third grade level: (DRA 34)

Ramona series chapter books by Beverly Cleary
Socks

Beginning Third Grade level: (DRA 28)

Freckle Juice
The One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo

These are all books I've used for literature circles in third grade, depending on the reading level of the students. Even when I had advanced readers I tried to keep the subject matter appropriate for 8-9 year olds. Many do not have the schema to understand the subplots and deeper comprehension in advanced chapter books.

I also agree with a PP that Magic Tree House series is a great series for third graders, and the books range all the way from 2nd grade to end of 3rd grade level so there is something for everyone.

I have always found that classic literature, like many of the books listed above, appeal to the children of the new generation as much as they appealed to us when we were kids. They are good stories with good vocabulary, and are stories that are unlike the stories in the new cartoons, so they are a novelty. I wouldn't worry very much about the stories being "updated" as I would about making sure they are reading good literature.
LangArtsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote