fourth grade curriculum map for reader's and writer's workshop - ProTeacher Community

SunnySailor

fourth grade curriculum map for reader's and writer's workshop
Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I started teaching the workshop approach this year. I have read numerous teacher resource books about this teaching method.

During my reading block, I teach a short mini lesson at the beginning. I give students time to read independently and record information on sticky notes and in their reading journal. During this time I have been conferencing with students one-on-one. I have learned sooo much about my students during these conferences. At the end of reader's workshop, there is time for a few students to share what they are reading. My writer's workshop has a similar structure.

I took many ideas off of Beth Newingham and Angela Bunyi's websites on Top Teaching through Scholastic. I love this new approach to teaching much more than teaching to the textbook. My students are more motivated than ever about reading and writing.

However, I do feel like I'm just picking and choosing mini lessons to teach. I'm trying to develop a more structured plan for the year. Does anyone have a good scope and sequence map for fourth grade on reading and writing through the workshop method?

Thank you!

pg

A couple ideas...
Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm attaching a conferencing form that I use. Students pick a focus for the quarter ~ comprehension, accuracy, fluency, or vocabulary. Then, when I conference with them, I simply ask them questions that will help them reveal the depth of their skills in that focus area. If they are weak, we discuss how to correct this. By the end of the year, all focus areas would be covered and (hopefully) they will have mastered these. I love the structure and sense of purpose that this supports ~ maybe you would too.

Also, we use the workbook offered at the link below. It's an excellent book! I don't know if you can get this book ~ but, if nothing else, go to this website and click on the appropriate pdf for your grade level (in the Sample Pages column near the bottom of the page). This will take you to the table of contents. That might give you some ideas for curriculum. I really haven't found anything that they didn't cover! (It's worth the money if you have it!)

http://www.testprep.com/c/@aodAhcnTo...36487+state@OH

Good luck!

pg
Attached Files
File Type: doc 4th Grade CAFE Conferencing Form.doc (54.5 KB, 746 views)

Last edited by pg; 03-29-2010 at 09:12 AM..

SunnySailor

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Your attachements were very helpful.

mom23kids

Take a look at this
Old 03-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Does anyone have a good scope and sequence map for fourth grade on reading and writing through the workshop method?

Thank you!
Units of Study - Literacy - New York City Department of Education

There are mini lessons for many units of study for all the grades in both reading and writing. Hope this is helpful.

twiceblessed

mom23kids
Old 04-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for sharing this site. The information on it is very helpful!

funteacher7

Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

mom23kids- That site is so great. Thanks for sharing!

SunnySailor

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you! This is very helpful!
ctwista

ctwista

great site
Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

that was a grrrreat site! i am just starting off the year with my coteacher and we are going to use this entire map to plan out our ELA units! thanks again... lots of information!