Help

Poppy Room

Catching Readers Before They Fall

>

longan2

Catching Readers Before They Fall
Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm starting to read "Catching Readers Before They Fall," by Johnson & Keier, if anyone wants to read along!

bluesasha19

Just started
Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

on Friday. so far it had been a good read.

noclue

Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just ordered it!! If you guys are going to read it together, please include me too, I'll just have to catch up!!

I am moving to kindergarten next year, so I am excited to read this book for help with beginning readers!!!

longan2

I just started...
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So I'm open to reading it together or discussing afterwards...let me know!

firstisfun

I'm reading it...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's not exactly what I was hoping for...I think I wanted a magic cure-all pill, you know, follow these five steps and all will be well. Chapter 2, about how reading works, is full of things I have already learned, I just haven't thought about recently. Many in my district are shifting to a simpler view of reading, all skill and drill, so I'm glad to have this to read and think about and get me back on track.

What does everyone else think so far?

longan2

I agree...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with you firstisfun. I was expecting more specific strategies to use with my really low students, but like you, I feel it's simply reconnecting me with information I have already learned (almost as a general overview of literacy). It's good for me to become refamiliar with it - or bring it to the forefront with my teaching, but not exactly what I was expecting so far.

I like the fact that it references many books I have already read, such as D5 and Reading with Meaning. This is giving me confidence in moving away from the scripted basal. I am only about halfway though...we'll see about the rest of the book....maybe there will be some "aha" moments...

Update - I finished the book this evening and I liked the chapter on inferring. I personally never realized there were so many ways to infer and I loved the book suggestions that were given for each category. I also did find more specific one-on-one strategies to use with my lowest students. Much of the information (for ME) was review from previous readings and classes, but I would suggest the book to a new teacher who wants to learn the different aspects of literacy education and how to integrate them into the classroom.

Last edited by longan2; 04-09-2010 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: finished book

teach4k

Just started
Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got my book today and I read chapter one so far. Our school is doing a book study for this book this summer.

jdunning

Important Read
Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I read this book a few months ago. I agree with many of the posts that this is review. However, I really enjoyed reading it and I think it is always a good idea to read something that keeps us on course. So often, I find myself second guessing my decisions as a teacher. I wonder things like, "Is it just too simple to believe kids learn to read by reading and they learn to write by writing?" I wonder if I should be doing more 'skill and drill' but books like this keep me centered and focused. I like when old information is presented in a new book because it breathes new life into these important theories and forces some who have forgotten or never paid attention to take notice and place value on good teaching.

teach4k

Just Wondering
Old 06-16-2010, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was wondering if any of you who are reading this book have read Debbie Miller's book Reading for Meaning?

As I read this book I find it to be very similar with just some twists on things.

Any comments?

Love Teaching

For me..
Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For me the book was a review of information I had previously learned. It was a good review, but I don't feel like I learned anything new and earth-shattering. Honestly, I had a hard time staying interested in it because of the writing style. It read more like a textbook to me.

noclue

Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I felt the same way love teaching.

Actually I picked up The Book Whisperer, and I couldn't put it down!! I did read like a novel, and I loved loved loved it!!!

The author teaches 6th grade, but you could easily adapt her suggestions to your grade level.

EXCELLENT BOOK!!