Vowels-help - ProTeacher Community

Georgia

Vowels-help
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any fantastic lesson ideas or plans for teaching vowels?

Thanks!!!!

Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote

socrteach16

Vowels...
Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Song/poem I use for teaching vowels...

To the tune of 'Where is Thumbkin'

Vowels have two sounds, vowels have two sounds...

A has two sounds, a has two sounds
a and a, a and a
a as in acorn, a as in apple
a and a, a and a

(So for the first time you say the letter it is the long vowel/says it's name, and the second time it makes it's sound/short vowel)

I can't remember each one for the vowels because I don't have it at home with me but I hope that helps!
socrteach16 is offline   Reply With Quote

superpix

Old 04-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do the Vowel Family the the Vowel Song by Dr. Jean every morning. The kids love them and it has worked especially because the Vowel Family has motions that go with the short sounds. I found the printable books on her website somewhere. They are great!
superpix is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think this is best done through the use of your students' names. This provides a handy, extremely meaningful context for them right from the start. I do not separate the vowels out to teach, rather I am teaching them/naming them from day one and we practice their two sounds as well. I call them Superhero Vowels because they are SO strong they can hold words together. When I'm doing Student of the Day, I draw attention to each letter, but label the superhero vowel, i.e., If the SOTD is "Andrew" and we've already written it on our whiteboard and are now putting the name puzzle back together, I'll put tape on the "A" and then put it on the whiteboard, saying, "First comes the capital 'A', everyone say the short sound five times (I hold up a finger for each time) and we say, /a/, /a/, /a/, /a/, /a/, now it's long sound when it says it's name, 'a' 'a' 'a' a' a'. Then we go on to the next letter, again making it sound five times (later in the year I will do three times and right now I ask for words that begin with that particular letter/sound or ask for words for things you can eat). Secret STories has some wonderful things for teaching vowels--that's where I got my "Superhero Vowels".
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Suspended

Driven2BG
Suspended

Kellys Kindergarten
Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love www.kellyskindergarten.com for vowels, she has tons of games and worksheets!

Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote