Isp? - ProTeacher Community

longan2

Isp?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any good advice about doing D5 with the ISP cluster in my classroom? After reading the material, it seems that I will be able to do it, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this, and/or advice before I get started? THanks!

longan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

McD2

?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is ISP?
McD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

longan2

clarification
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry, the ISP group is the cluster of children with special needs that will be in my classroom, such as with learning disabilities.
longan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

McD2

Depends on child...
Old 04-18-2010, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it depends on their needs. I have worked with teachers who have adjusted the choices to meet student's IEP goals or had them do different activities during the independent time that work better for them.

I know I have adjusted the book choices in their book box, spelling words they use for word work and given them less choices for word work activities, since some are too distracting.

I think the timing is important too. Right now, my second graders could go almost 30 minutes with a choice, but some children with special needs can not work on one activity for that long. They made need two activities to get them through that block.

Another idea is having them work with a teacher more than once. One of my students who is entering Tier 3 for RTI, works with me and a special education teacher every day. So he only has one round to be completely independent, and two rounds where his stamina doesn't have to be so long.

Depends on your adult help too. A few years ago, I had a child with an aide for a block of time during the day and they did one activity out of the room. It gave him a chance to get up and move, change of scenery, and better setting for him to focus on the word activities he was going to do. Then they walked back when they were done.

Hope these help...
McD2 is offline   Reply With Quote