RTI:How do you implement it in your K classroom? - ProTeacher Community

Kdgcool

RTI:How do you implement it in your K classroom?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teacher friends,
We will be implementing RTI in our district next year. Everyone seems to have different information because people are attending different conferences. If you implement RTI, how do you do it in K? This year one of our schools has been progress monitoring their "at risk" K's every week for those in red, bi-weekly for those in yellow, and once a month of those in green. They have been overwhelmed with monitoring, that they have not found time for reading groups, or teach what skills need to be taught, etc. Give me your take on what it should look like in K.
Thanks!

Kdgcool is offline   Reply With Quote

ReadingTchr28

Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is our 2nd year using RTI in our district and there still are a lot of kinks in it. We have a tracking form for Reading and Math. We bring the students we feel are not making progress to our Instructional Support Team and begin the student on RTI and making accomodations for them. Currently we have no system in place for how often we monitor just that we need a consistent system, if you monitor once a month then you do it monthly all year long etc. We need to have a monitoring tool in place and then measurable data for each accomodation we use. This is tricky in our district because our form has drop down menus for various accomodations which are not kindergarten or primary in general friendly. So when you need measurable data for things like "preferential setting" that's a bit tricky.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others who have a better system in place for RTI will have more information for you.
ReadingTchr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Signed out

Signed out

RtI
Old 04-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good luck! This is our first full year with it and you would be hard pressed to find a single teacher who is favor of it! The additional work, monitoring, data collection is beyond anything I have ever seen and I have been teaching since the '70s! The only thing we have found is that it SLOWS the process of getting students the ESE placement they truly need. I believe placement delayed is placement denied and most certainly hurts the student!
Of course that is just my opinion. I will say though...not one teacher on our very large staff of 65 is pleased with it, nor is our guidance counselor, but we are all giving it a true effort.
Maybe year 2 will be better....

funkid

RTI in Kindergarten
Old 04-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am overwhelmed with the process. Our school uses AIMSweb to assess children. We do letter naming, letter sound, and just recently added reading nonesense words (blending). The children that fall into the red zone are supposed to be progress monitored weekly. I have been using a system called Tugmate to help these children with letter naming skills. They have made progress, but the whole process is time consuming. We are frustrated by the process and feel like it delays getting help for these children.
funkid is offline   Reply With Quote

tonkashe

Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do RTI at our school. Our district uses an assessment called DIBELS. Students are tested on letter naming, phonemic awareness, nonsense, words, fluency, and letter naming. This is timed. We have a reading interventionist that does progress monitoring, but there is a lady that comes every couple of month to test the whole class. Our interventionist only tests the strategic and intensive students. These students and any others that we feel are struggling, because to me testing is not always accurate, go out for 30 minutes a day for extra help in the areas they need. They do not go out doing instruction time, but during play. Hope this helps.

tonkashe is offline   Reply With Quote

irishheart

RTI in K
Old 04-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school is supposedly using it this year. There really is no support for us. We had a 45 minute "training" in which the psychologist talked about what it is and showed us a website that would help us make graphs to show how a child is doing. I put in a child for our Child Problem Solving Team at the beginning of the year who seems to have some kind of a processing problem. He knows letters and sounds but holds his pencil very oddly, has very "young" looking drawings, etc. even though he was 6 in September. He needs repeated instructions and still can't follow them. When I took his case to the team the psychologist said that I needed to bring them data before they could do anything or refer him. I was told to document interventions. No one bothered to show me how to do "data" or what interventions to do. It's almost like they believe we know how to do all this, but even though I'm in my 21st year of teaching I don't have training in data collection for a kid who doesn't understand what I'm talking about. Plus it's hard to be teaching 19 kids and then be keeping data at the same time. I came up with my own little chart to try to keep track of when he was off task and when I had to repeat instructions for him and no one has ever come back to talk with me about him. I don't have time to go chasing them down when the psychologist is only at the school one or two days a week. I have a feeling that with all the extra paper work included in RTI that many kids are going to fall through the cracks since we are already overwhelmed with assessments. And if this child were struggling with something that could be measured (like letters and letter/sound knowledge, it might be easier to document. But since his problem is staying focused and following directions it's not so easy to document. So I feel that everything is being dumped onto the classroom teachers without support, even though RTI is supposed to be about giving us support within the classroom. But we really need more than a 45 minute training on it.
irishheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Kdgcool

Thank you for your feedback
Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to share the information with me. I am concerned that this is just another train we are jumping on, and we certainly have jumped on a few, and dumped them later. Ugh! Sounds like here we go again!
Kdgcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Konagirl

Don't be scared!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is our 4th year implementing RTI. We began with K and have worked up through the grades. I think the whole process can be very scary and overwhelming when you first begin. As you start to understand it, it won't be that bad. Yes, there is ALOT of data collecting (and that takes time) but it really helps us understand how a child is responding to an intervention. Over the years people have been so quick to make the decision to test a child for ESE before really finding out if there is an intervention that may work for them.
What kind of monitoring are you using? For OPM (on-going progress monitoring) we use quick assessments that don't take a lot of time. Teachers are not required to do weekly OPM assessments. We usually do them every couple weeks depending on the teacher, student, and skill being monitored.
Konagirl is offline   Reply With Quote