Daily 5 in Middle School? - ProTeacher Community

Edu-Kate

Daily 5 in Middle School?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have read so much about Daily 5 this past year. I am wondering if anyone has implemented this in middle school classrooms? I teach 6, 7, 8, and don't know if I could use this "system" or not. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?? TIA

Edu-Kate is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it in 6th, but I'm self contained. There is a group dedicated to upper elem daily 5.
trishg1 is online now   Reply With Quote

goofygirl

daily five in middle school with 55 min./day?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is this even feasible? Our school is looking into it. What we're doing now isn't working, so I'm thinking of trying it, before they figure it out. It will take them for ever to decide and train. I'm thinking two twenty minute blocks each day, and 15 minutes of direct instruction, which will actually mean about 10 min. of instruction including distractions and moving time. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.
goofygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Linda Witte

Linda Witte

lindawjr
Old 12-06-2010, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am using Daily 5 in my 7th grade reading class. You actually do a Daily 3 in middle school; Read to Self, Word Work, and Work on Writing. We begin the year with a 4 week boot camp and we practice learning to be independent. We practice the activities we will be doing during the tasks. I think the only way it works is if you let students chose their own "good fit" novels to read. It works well, I have one or two students in each class that have a difficult time staying on task, but the other students have learned to ignore them. I like that I can do guided reading with those students that are still at a 4th or fifth grade level in 7th grade. It seems to work and the kids love the freedom of choosing what task they can do 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I only have them read for enjoyment, and they love picking their own books. At the beginning of the year I spend a lot of time helping students find books they enjoy, then it is smooth sailing the rest of the year. I have a modified book club program where the students have to read short stories , article, or a poem instead of a novel and we have discussions once a week. The students have great conversations and I hear many interpretive questions going on and many connections being made. It seems to work for me. We see students 90 minutes every other day. However, we see our honors class for 45 minutes everyday and I just put two class periods together to make a 90 minute block.

kateader

Any Help would be GREAT!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Linda, I have been trying to find someone who has used the Daily 5 in the 7th grade forever! It sounds like you've got it down....Could you give me more details on your modified book club program..?.....it sound just like what I've been looking for. Any other info, materials, guidance you may have for me would be greatly appreciated. I just didn't want to give up me Daily 5 since I'm moving into 7th next year. Thanks

kateader is offline   Reply With Quote
BeckyD

BeckyD

Daily Five
Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi Linda, I have been looking very hard for anyone else who is using the Daily Five in 7/8th grades! I am coming from a multiage classroom where I used the Daily Five and am now moving to 7/8th grade level. I was wondering how you use the Word Work and Work on Writing in your 90 minute block? I am also on the 90 minute block schedule and I was thinking on doing a whole class 40 minute Read to Self with a book of their choice or a guided reading novel and utilized the other 50 minutes with choices of word work, writing, or another read to self if they want. I would break this 50 minutes in two choices. What are your thoughts? I am not sure what to do with word work since we don't have a formal spelling program but perhaps a theme?
Any insight from you would be wonderful since I don't know of anyone using the Daily Five at this level.
Thank you!
ncleve

ncleve

Daily 5/Cafe in Middle School
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am moving to middle this year (new to this age) and I have 50 minute class periods with my students. I am wondering how I can make this format work in my reading class for sure...should I be trying to teach my curriculum through the Daily 5/Cafe format? I had been thinking the textbook would be a whole group instruction and then Daily 5 would be totally separate, free choice reading. But maybe I need to combine my time with students?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
prariebiscut

prariebiscut

New 7th grade teacher
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm in a similar boat. Some of the elementary teachers implemented Daily 5 & Cafe last year and I'm interested in trying it. The problem is a 48 minute block of time & trying to schedule everything into that time frame. It seems as though it would be realistic to do a 10 minute whole group instruction and then one Daily 5 session on any given day. I'm thinking of doing an alternating reading/writing block. Perhaps students can have choice on reading days of read to self/read to someone, and on writing days of work on writing/word work? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

adventurenwt

Word Work Suggestions
Old 09-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hello All. I am teaching grade 6/7 this year and I am trying to incorporate the Daily 5 and CAFE systems into my classroom. One of my biggest concerns right now is working with words. What types of activities are you trying with your students for this time?

I came across this website with a few ideas http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/r...Word_games.htm and I am also using one of the "Making Words" books but many of the students did this type of work with me last year, so I am looking for some other ideas Thanks!
adventurenwt is offline   Reply With Quote
tomntam

tomntam

movin' on up
Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am also moving to the middle school after 16 years of teaching at the elementary level. I have been doing a lot of research on interactive notebooks that I would like to incorporate and also am involved in a Daily 5 book study. Like you, I only have 50 minutes of instruction time and the students will have a separate block for language arts. I think I am going to incorporate these Daily 3 in my reading classes: Read to Self, Read with Partner, and Listen to reading. They can work on the writing and word work during their language arts time. I will teach a minilesson daily and students will respond in their interactive notebooks.

newbergd

tomntam
Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I know I am very late to this thread. I am wondering when or how you will incorporate all of the standards (curriculum) in your 48 minute reading period. I have a 50 minute period and would love to try your idea, but I just don't know how to get in all of my curriculum.
newbergd is offline   Reply With Quote