Multiple Paragraphs - ProTeacher Community

imau2u

Multiple Paragraphs
Old 10-29-2006, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

4th grade teacher here that is attempting to teach the children how to write using multiple paragraphs. In 3rd grade last year the children were only expected to be able to write 1 paragraph and this year they are expecting 3... ahhhhhh.

I've done some quick mini-lessons on paragraph writing and have done more of a one-on-one lesson with individuals during writing conferences. Does anyone have any great lessons that will help them understand how to write in paragraphs and/or have practice sheets to help them identify where paragraphs should go... such a huge transition from 3rd to 4th and I need help.

Thanks.

imau2u is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

Old 10-29-2006, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try this site: http://www.geocities.com/fifth_grade...andyguide.html

You can easily adapt it. Technically, if you take out the introcuction and conclusion, you have three paragraphs.

Introduction - Includes an introduction to the main idea of the paragraphs

Paragraph 1 - supporting statement and at least two details and/or examples

Paragraph 2 - same

Paragraph 3 - same

Conclusion
wig is offline   Reply With Quote

brookerina

four square
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

THe four square method for intermediate, really shows them where their paragraphs should go. You can find the book on amazon. I have found it effective.

It take my fourth graders until about halfway through the year to really understand paragraphing. Then they start to use it on their own.

I have also had success using mthe transition words, first, then, next, finally. Each word is a new paragraph. They make sure to have enough details in each paragraph. The words can be adapted for different modes.
brookerina is offline   Reply With Quote