Tough Essay Question - ProTeacher Community

lnyeager

Tough Essay Question
Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am filling out an online application for a school district and I am stumped about how to answer this question:

Briefly discuss how you would develop relationships within the school community. (students. colleagues, parents)

I have never had a hard time developing good relationships with students, colleagues, and parents. I just don't really know how to explain it in an essay answer! Any suggestions? I'm thinking something about being an open person, having an outgoing personality, having an "open door" policy....
I've been doing essay questions for the past hour, so maybe my brain is just a little fried!

lnyeager is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrpen

Newsletters
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Think about things like newsletters, a classroom newspaper or a class web page.
Also, an open invitation for parents to communicate with you, by sending them a welcome letter with your contact info. (I only give the school phone number and encourage them to write to me in their child's homework agenda)
Inviting parents to volunteer or invite them to writing celebrations.
Maybe reading buddies with a different grade to show school community building.
Students - have them help create class rules, do community building activities, an open door policy to form trust between you and the students. A suggestion box for kids in your classroom.
These are off the top of my head. I don't do all of them, but I have used them as examples in interviews when I was looking for a job.
Good luck.
tchrpen is offline   Reply With Quote