Help

ARCHIVE

Butterfly Observation Journal needed!

>

MissHoney344

Butterfly Observation Journal needed!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have an observation journal that they are willing to share? I've searched online and cannot find one to use with my 2nd graders. TIA!

MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

ladybug12

this is pretty cool
Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are they monarch butterflies? This is a really cool site...the first half of the page has templates and there are questions and links towards the bottom...it has an archive of old questions too. Hope it's helpful!

Monarch Butterfly: Journey North
ladybug12 is offline   Reply With Quote

monarchlover

Journey North is the best...
Old 04-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you can get journals, updates, ask the experts, join the symbolic migration to Mexico. They are speaking of the monarchs tho! You will just love the site--your students can follow monarchs in the fall and then this time of year. We really "get in to" this--raise monarchs, too! My classes have been involved in this for years--students always remember raising monarchs.
monarchlover is online now   Reply With Quote

Irishmom

We use science notebooks
Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

with our STC kits in Washington state. Here is a list of the activities that we do with our science notebooks. http://www.wastatelaser.org/_support...lies/index.asp
Irishmom is offline   Reply With Quote

janicepet

Irishmom
Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I went on the suggested website and found it very useful. However, I was wondering how you get the activity sheets they mention for the butterflies. Any help would be appreciated.

janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote

Irishmom

Most of the activities for this unit
Old 04-30-2010, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

we just do in our notebook. Some pages come out of the STC Kit Manual, but they are easy enough to recreate by just writing or drawing pictures of the information in the notebook. The diagram for the labeling of the caterpillar could easily be the one from Enchanted Learning. The most powerful thing about this unit is the pre drawing of their concept of a caterpillar, and then having them go back and draw the caterpillar again at the end of the unit. We do lots of drawings of the caterpillar in the cup "habitat" to see how the caterpillar has grown. I keep a notebook with the kids, too. As we put things into it I put it under the document projector, (before I had one, I put the info on large sheets of chart paper) From the first drawing when we put the caterpillar in the cup, The next one when the caterpillar is using the silk to get around. Another with a larger caterpillar and the "frass" (which is caterpillar poop) on the bottom. The caterpillar going into the "j" shape, and finally the drawing of the chrysallis. Make sure everything in the drawings are labled; including the cup, holes, tissue, mallow, caterpillar, silk, frass. Observation is such an important part of this unit. If there are any questions about the lessons,or a certain form you need I could try to get it for you.

custer78

Here is the one I use...
Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is one I made and adapted from one I got from who knows where...use if you like.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Journal Observation Page.doc (256.0 KB, 336 views)
custer78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiger82

Irishmom
Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What do you mean when you say, "The most powerful thing about this unit is the pre drawing of their concept of a caterpillar."

Do the kids draw what they think a caterpillar looks like ahead of time?
Tiger82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irishmom

Caterpillar drawing
Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Georgia Boatman, who wrote our unit writes: "Students are asked to draw a picture of what they think a caterpillar looks like and show in drawings how a caterpillar changes during its life. It is not vital that drawings be accurate at this stage. They will serve as a before and after unit comparison for assessment purposes.

The caterpillar drawing is an important pre-assessment tool. It is a good idea to save this drawing and mount it side by side with their post-assessment drawing for comparison and to illustrate to students how much they've learned. If done in a science notebook, a space can be left on the bottom half of the page to draw the post-assessment picture."

After we do this, we make 2 charts: What I Know About Caterpillars. and What I Want To Learn About Caterpillars. I usually have the children pick 5 from each chart to write in their notebooks.

janicepet

Irishmom
Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do you have copies of the forms and activity sheets you could attach?
janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote